Display Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Moshiiii, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

Greetings ! :D
    I've been in the market for a Widescreen Display for my Macbook Pro. I want something that I can use as a computer monitor, Tv, and to play my gamecube on. Is this even possible? I've been mostly looking at the dells because I like their look and the prices seem right.

Can these be used as a monitor, Tv, and entertainment system?
    LG RZ-23LZ40 LCD
    UltraSharp 2007FP Dell Monitor

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Id suggest you look into an LCD Television like the LG, rather than just an LCD. These will have more appropriate inputs to support your electronics. The only downside is the resolution won't be as high as an LCD monitor.

I own both a Toshiba 26" LCD TV (1366 x 768) w/DVI port and a Samsung 40" LCD TV (1366x768), both are excellent quality.

3. Moshiiii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

Dang, the decent LVD Tv's are way out of my pricerange. Can I do what I'm looking to do on a Dell Screen?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Depending on size, they will be typically be a little more expensive than an LCD in the smaller range. Once you start getting into the larger sizes (24"+) it will depend on make/model, etc..etc...

For example, my 26" Toshiba was about $1200 when I bought it. Just a little more than the ACD 23" at the time. I paid about $2K for the Samsung a couple months ago and this was cheaper than a 30" ACD (or Dell) and has much more flexibility and size, with a downside of lesser resolution. Both were bought as floor models that carried the same warranty. Of course, now they can be had for about the same price NEW.

Start here

Thinking long term, the Dell doesn't have any HD inputs besides a single DVI...But that doesn't carry a lot of weight for people. You may also want to consider the lack of speakers...do you want to connect your gamecube to your pc speakers all the time or get a switcher device?

The reality is what you can tolerate and what you are willing to invest. I shared my opinion, but I am sure there are plenty of folks who use LCD monitors as a Universal display (ie. TV, gaming, computer)...

Good Luck!

5. Moshiiii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

Great points! Thanks very much for you're help. I got some thinking to do.