Display recommendations - Cinema display or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ecZero, Nov 20, 2003.

1. ecZero macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2003
    So, I'm not a mac user yet, but i'm about to make the switch. As soon as I've pulled together the cash, I'm diving in with both feet. No longer will i suffer horrible design, constant hardware tinkering, and an ugly user interface. (Sorry had to get that off my chest)

My primary uses for the computer will be pretty heavy audio work (Reason + midi + plug-ins), moderate DV video editting work, and c++ development. The Dual 1.8 G5 sounds like the perfect machine for me - now the question is what to do about a display? Minimum requirements are 1280x1024 res.

My dream display is probably a 20" Cinema display, but that kind of cash just isn't gonna fly for me. So I'd like to know what people think about the 17" Cinema display vs. a cheaper 3rd party 17" (or larger) flat panel.

A big reason I'm making the switch is due to Apple's excellent design sensibilities - and the cinema display's fit that bill. I know there are dozens of other flat panels out there, but have people found a display of comparable quality that feels like it's worthy of sitting next to my shiny new dual G5? (see i'm already talking like i've got one). Thanks!
  2. Douglas _Allan macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    New Apple displays soon?

Well I'd be real interested in other peoples thoughts on this. I think Apple is due real soon for a update on all their monitors. It only makes sense, looking at the AL design of their pro product line up. MWSF in Jan?

I need to buy 4 "second" monitors for work and we need 15"-17" flat panels due to space constraints (tiny, narrow offices).

I've been looking at Sonys and NECs. MacWorld the magazine hasn't had a whole lot on the topic of third party display, so I went over to their sister publication pcworld and found a top ten for all sizes here:

I'd be nice to find something with a narrow edge (for dual monitor desktops) instead of a 1-2" plastic thingy.
  3. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 3, 2002
    Re: Display recommendations - Cinema display or no?

I went back and forth with this when I bought my G4 a couple of months ago. I really wanted the 20" cinema to go with it but just couldn't justify spending that kind of money for it. I settled for the 17" Studio display and I've been really happy with it. It's actually the equivalent of a 19" display and very easy on the eyes. What finally helped me decide is that I went to the Apple store and visually compared the two.

One day, when prices are reduced, I will probably spring for the 20" but for now, I love my Studio!

That said, if I were you I would try and hold off a little while longer and see if Apple does come out with a 17" cinema...that would be a nice compromise. You just can't beat the quality of an Apple display, IMHO.
  4. ecZero thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2003
    Oh - one more thing... Bonus points for recommendations that include the ability to pivot the screen (switching between portrait and landscape mode). Will the mac support this functionality? It would be handy because a couple of the apps that i use like to be "tall" instead of wide.
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    One small but huge thing:

Compare the Cinema Displays to LCDs with DVI interfaces. Comparing them to displays with only VGA connectors isn't a valid argument.

I would suggest also looking at the Formac displays. They're quite good and come with ADC connectors.
  6. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    I have yet to see a display as nice as the ones from apple BUT I have heard that the ones from Formac are good. I think the real test would be to go in a store and see for yourself. Until I did that, I didnt understand why people were raving so much about Apple display, now I know...

I totaly agree about the plastic border around the screen. It should be kept to a minimum so we could do dual display more easely...