Display shakes & cuts out after Tiger upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marcsorel, Jul 26, 2005.

1. marcsorel macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2005
    I upgraded to Tiger (10.4.2) over the weekend from 10.3.9, and now the display on my 17" Studio Display shakes and briefly changes color (flashes light). This starts out just happening every 10-15 seconds, but after the computer has been on for a while it's just about constant. Occasionally the screen flashes black for a couple of seconds as well. For some reason it's particulary inclined to go black when I drop a new widget on the dashboard and the ripple animation is finishing up, but it happens other times as well.

I have an ATI 9800 (4x AGP w/ 128mb) running to an Apple DVI to ADC adapter. This never happened under Panther. As far as I know I'm running all the latest ATI software (ATI displays 4.5.1) and current firmware (has there been an update since October '04- that's the most recent one I can find.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts.
    Thanks for your help!
  2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Is that the LCD or the CRT Studio Display? If it's the CRT, one of the electron guns or something else might be dying, if it's the LCD, I got nuthin' :confused:
  3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I had a funny coincidence when I upgraded to Tiger, too. My ethernet cable died... but it had worked for so long, I ruled it out. Well a few days later I finally changed it. And it worked! :rolleyes:

Maybe you're having the same kind of coincidence?