Display switch for two displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Diatribe, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Here is the deal. I want to get me a mini for my home theater/stereo setup. The only thing is that the mini only comes with one DVI connector and I want it to output to a monitor OR a projector.
    I don't want it to output to both of them at the same time but to one at a time. Therefor I'd need a switch to do that, thing is I just can't seem to find what I am looking for. Any help please?

2. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

here is a simple DVI switch. 1 input and 2 output. kinda expensive though, at almost $300.

just google DVI switch for more options.

3. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thank you. The thing is though that this is no switch, it's a splitter. I need a switch as I only want one running at one time.

4. reh macrumors 6502a

You simply want a DVI KVM switch. You likely won't be using the USB ports on the switch, but it'll do what you want. If both your monitor and projector use VGA, then you can get away with a much cheaper VGA KVM switch.

5. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

All of those switches have 1 out and 2 ins. I need a switch with 1 in 2 outs with a button to switch the output. And I've looked all over but it doesn't seem to exist.

6. reh macrumors 6502a

Oh, oops! You're right. Sorry 'bout that.

7. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah no problem. After further investigation there seems to one device for up to 8 outputs but it costs $800, which I am not prepared to pay. I guess it's the old disconnect/connect game then. :(

8. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

um, just power off which ever device you are not currently using. seems better than spending $800! What did you find? have you checked that company's site to see if they have a smaller version?

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Considering a DVI switch basically just switches which wires stuff gets sent down you might be able to use a standard cheapo DVI switch the other way around.