Display Technology Company Pixelworks Discloses Strategic Relationship with Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Shares of video and pixel processing company Pixelworks have climbed over 40 percent after the company revealed a strategic relationship with Apple that contributed significantly to the company's revenue in 2013 (Via SeekingAlpha).

[​IMG]
    Pixelworks confirmed in a recent Form 10-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that Apple, along with Hitachi and NEC, each accounted for more than 10 percent of the company's revenue in 2013.
    It's not clear what Pixelworks is providing to Apple, but it likely involves Apple's high-resolution retina displays, which are noted in the company's 10-K filing.
    Pixelworks is known for its video display processing technology and holds over 120 patents that cover the display and processing of digital image data. The company provides display technology for digital projection systems, flat panel displays and mobile displays.

Article Link: Display Technology Company Pixelworks Discloses Strategic Relationship with Apple

2. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Ok, let's do the extremes. Apple is licensing their patents so they don't get sued. Apple is inventing a new display technology. That should cover it.

3. macrumors regular

07/03/2014 - Pixelworks acquired by Google

4. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    And on 3/08/2014 (in the US we reverse the month and day, so my date is just 1 day after yours), Samsung signs an agreement with Pixelworks :D

5. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

After reading about their technologies and knowing what GPU IP they're using, it sounds like they're likely investigating framebuffer techniques to minimize display updating (in addition to advanced compression techniques afforded to ImgTec GPUs and reduce any artifacts that are resultant from that to the user) in order to minimize display power consumption. There has been a lot of effort by other companies to reduce power consumption by having things like GRAM where the display has its own local storage to redisplay the same frame buffer rather than have the GPU burn electrons to output the same image over again.

http://www.pixelworks.com/technology.php

6. macrumors 6502a

dBeats

Nah, Facebook will buy them for eleventy billion dollars and then realize they have no use for them...

7. macrumors 68020

Why would they wait until July? ;-)

8. macrumors 6502a

dBeats

Also, nah.

On 8-Mar, Samsung special forces infiltrate the building in the middle of the night and take pictures of all the schematics, ironically using an iPhone 5S since the low light capabilities are so good.

On 10-Mar, Samsung starts churning out displays at 100,000 per day and undercuts Pixelworks price by 40%. Samsung claims "Revolutionary superior display by Samsung, Pixelworks screens are too small and stupid. Next best thing is 40% cheaper."

21-Mar, Pixelworks goes out of business.
    22-Mar, Samsung raises price by 40%
    23-Mar, Samsung CEO celebrates at his bachelor pad questionable young Korean girls in even more questionable attire. "God it feels good to be a gangster," he says with Cigar in his mouth...a copy of a Cuban cigar recipe, on the label in a blue oval is says "Samsmoke SX+ Ultra-High-Definition 2.3 Pro...Mini"

9. macrumors 6502a

swarmster

It's only software companies with simple products that go for billions of dollars. Hardware companies solving difficult problems are usually a few million.

10. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

Clearly trying to appeal to me through the use of the Cuban Cigar reference. Very Good! I like it! :p

11. macrumors 65816

I like your sig. I have collection of apple stickers too but as of one week ago, I now have a pair in black :D

12. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

Wow, I guess it's time for me to buy something that adds a black sticker to my collection. :D :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

13. macrumors regular

Garsun

After you take out the stickers, could you send me what's in the rest of the box:D

14. macrumors 6502

Lol

15. macrumors newbie

WHAT? can't wait to see what they will come out later this year.