Displaying Home Screen on TV

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by david martin, Apr 7, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I want to display my home screen on my TV via HDMI cable. I have the cable and can only view photos and videos. I've read I need to jailbreak to display the homescreen on a TV. Can someone confirm or describe how I can display my home screen? I have iPhone 4 on ios 6.0.1 and firmware 3.0.04. Thanks for any help!

2. macrumors 601

What if you take a screen shot of your home page? Sleep+HomeButton.

3. macrumors newbie

Have you tried using air parrot from your Mac to your TV.

4. macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Just get an Apple TV and then you can mirror your iDevices from your couch. ;):cool::apple:

5. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the ideas. As cool as the Apple TVs and air parrot are, I would still like to connect to any TV with a HDMI port. Taking a sceen shot and displaying a picture isn't enough. I would really like to duplicate what is on the screen in real time. I'm hoping to avoid installing jailbreak software due to past undesireable effects on a past iphone, but if it will allow me to duplicate my iphone screen I will probably give it another shot.

6. PNutts, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

macrumors 601

PNutts

All you need is Apple's 30 pin Digital AV Adapter. Once that's plugged in you set your iPhone to mirror to the TV.

Edit: Gee, that was easy to find on their website. </sarcasm>

Edit #2: It looks like this is only compatible with the 4S and higher. Reading is a wonderful thing.

7. macrumors 601

Well I love my ATV. Running a cable to the TV is so 8-track.

How much does an iPhone HDMI cable costs if u don't already have one?

8. macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Crap I didn't realise you only had a 4. Mirroring only from 4S and beyond.

9. macrumors 601

Poor analogy. There are certainly reasons to prefer wired versus wireless.

10. macrumors newbie

good info,Just get an Apple TV and then you can mirror your iDevices from your couch. thanks [​IMG]

11. macrumors 601

Is a moot point now. Apparently the 4 doesn't have enough umph to do wireless. Stuck to wired.

12. thread starter macrumors member

Now we are getting somewhere. I still have to assume, at this point, the hardware in the iphone 4 is capable of duplicatig to a TV, but software is the hang up. I'm still fishing for a work around for the 4, such as installing third party software before or after a jailbreak.

The HDMI adapter cost $40. I prefer the HDMI cable because most TVs have this input. Wireless TVs are becoming more common but not in every house.

13. macrumors 601

PNutts

Since you are willing to JB I did a quick search and came up with these instructions.

Also, how crazy do you want to go? :D Is mirroring to a PC or Mac good enough, and if not, you then output their video to a TV? :cool:

14. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Pnutts! I'm excited to give it a try. I first need to get back up to speed with current JB software. I've gone through the process once before. Other than evasi0n are there other option for ios 6.0.1?

mirroring to a another mac and then connecting to a TV...now that is clever, but a little extensive.

15. thread starter macrumors member

It worked! Thanks again for everyone's help!