Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

dmlogo.gif

DisplayMate posts an extensive analysis of the new iPhone 5 screen and also provides detailed comparisons against the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Galaxy S III.

They conclude that the iPhone 5 represents the best Smartphone screen they've tested.
Based on our extensive Lab measurements the iPhone 5 has a true state-of-the-art accurate display - it's not perfect and there is plenty of room for improvements (and competitors) but it is the best Smartphone display we have seen to date based on extensive Lab measurements and viewing tests.
In particular, they note that the iPhone 5 has much lower screen reflections, a much higher image contrast and screen readability in high ambient lighting and notably improved color accuracy and picture quality.

Here is their Overall Assessments chart comparing the iPhone 4, iPhone 5, and Samsung Galaxy SIII. They conclude the iPhone 5 significantly outperforms the other two units:

tests.jpg

The remainder of their charts detail differences in Reflections, Brightness and Contrast, Color and Intensities, Viewing Angles, Power Consumption and Battery Impact.

Article Link: DisplayMate Rates iPhone 5 Screen as "Best Smartphone Display" They've Seen

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It's a beauty. The new in-cell tech brings the display closer to the surface of the glass. It looks almost like magazine print.

With regards to the increased size, at first it doesn't look like the extra half inch is going to do much but indeed it does. In widescreen it's a much more natural feeling for a human's field of vision. In portrait, some of the new apps -- the CNN app in particular -- make it feel huge. I love it!

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
That seals it for me I'm holding out for the Samsung SIIII Galaxy Nexus 4.6534" 4G LTE Max RGB+ with Jelly Sandwhich

Uncle David

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
How can this be? Everyone knows the Galaxy SIII is the best smartphone on the planet. (in the solar system, universe, et al) This has to be a mistake! :confused:

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
Awful and ignorant comparison.

The best comparisons for the iP5 are the Optimus LTE and the HTC One X because they are all IPS and around/ over 320 PPI, with full RGB matrix.

Both the One X and the LTE are superior. DisplayMate sounds like noobs who think that only Apple and Samsung exist. :rolleyes:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I am one that has noticed a difference between this model and my old 4S. This either confirms that or confirms they are just as crazy as me.

It's so noticeable. I can NOT go back to a 4S after using the 5 lol. The screen (quality + size), the speed, the lightness, thinness, sturdiness etc all make for a stellar device.

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
Fandroids say AMOLED is better than LCD. Evidently not after this news...

In many ways, OLED is better. It's just that pentile matrix is a failure. Propery display calibration on full RGB OLED screens drastically improve color saturation accuracy. IPS LCD is still the way to go for now, but next year, Samsung will be giving us real HD OLED screens.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Awful and ignorant comparison.

The best comparisons for the iP5 are the Optimus LTE and the HTC One X because they are all IPS and around/ over 320 PPI, with full RGB matrix.

Both the One X and the LTE are superior. DisplayMate sounds like noobs who think that only Apple and Samsung exist. :rolleyes:

You are so sour. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I'd rather have a big, good screen than a medium-sized, great screen.

Size matters more to me than a smallish difference in quality.

With that said, that's about the only thing I don't like about the iPhone 5, so I still got it. Durability is way more important to me than screen size, and iPhone's have always been incredibly durable if you keep them in a decent case. My iPhone 4 is still a tank, and it's the exact same handset I preordered 2 and a half years ago.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
For many folks, this type of engineering put into the display isn't as easy to qualify as the display size (this is where Apple excels, choosing to implement certain components with a high level of detail).

It's like a good steering wheel and seats in a performance car ... many people will just compare HP figures to pick a winner. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.