Displays: Will there be a price drop on 20" lcd?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by furrina, May 11, 2004.

1. furrina macrumors regular

So does everyone really think for sure there'll be a new display or price drop at WWDC or before on current apple displays? How much do you think it will be?
    I'm considering gettin a 20" -er to go with the 15" pb i'll be buying in the next week or so (as a second monitor or in clamshell mode) that's something I CAN wait a little bit on if necessary, I don't need to buy whatever the new thing is that comes out, and I'd hate to have it drop like $400 bucks right after I blow $1200 on one.
    Any clues?
    thanks!

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I GUESS there is. Appleinsider just report a rumor that screen sales are still slow and thats an issue for Apple. I would wait if I were you for a new sale deal come WWDC or there abouts.

3. Crikey macrumors 6502

Yes, 20" LCDs will decline in price. Oh, you mean by June? I don't know, but some of the rumors sound plausible.

If I had a 15" PowerBook, I'd be pretty tempted to buy a non-Apple LCD with a DVI input, so I wouldn't need that $100 DVI-to-ADC adapter thing. The 20" Dell LCD attached to my G4 dualie, for example, would plug right in to one of the new PowerBooks' DVI outputs.

Apple LCDs are pretty cool, and the next time I buy an LCD it may be an Apple for use via ADC with a Power Mac tower. But for PowerBook use, I'd probably get something with a DVI input.

Cheers,

Crikey

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

since you don't already own an Apple LCD, i would consider other's advice on getting a DVI LCD. it will save you $100 on the adapter, but you won't have a cool apple widescreen, so it's really up to you in preference. the irony of using a Dell LCD on a Mac is just too much for me, the comments people would make when they came over would be worth spending the extra money in my opinion. if nobody is going to see it, or you don't mind the incessant heckling, go for your cheapest option.