1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Disposing of Dead Powermac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by garybUK, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Guest

garybUK

Does anyone know of a way to dispose of a dead Powermac G5, can i just take it to my council's tip and throw it?

The crappy thing doesn't turn on, just clicks and flashes the light on the front :(

Looked on the apple website, no recycle program.

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors member

Ill take it off your hands.

4. macrumors G5

Consultant

You can list it on craigslist.

There might be someone who want to mod the case or looking for a part.

5. Guest

garybUK

It's a Dual 1.8ghz, 8 memory slots. Make me a offer and it's yours. I'm sure it's repairable (i read PSU issues) but don't have the time to fix it tbh more laptop based now.

6. macrumors 65816

teleromeo

List it on ebay for 1$ and with no reserve. Be sure to mention it is defective, maybe some chaps will bid on it so you get a couple of bucks for it.

7. macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Plenty of Computer Recycle places in the UK HERE, and some will even pay you.

But it looks like 'NightwalkerUK' will have it from you, best to go to a good/useful home, imho...

8. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Shoulda looked harder:

Apple Recycling Program

9. macrumors member

Where abouts you based? If youre close enough ill come and pick it up

10. macrumors 65816

Under EU directives, electronic waste should be recycled - looks like you've got it covered now, but this way is agood for giving kit a good one http://www.freecycle.org/

11. Guest

garybUK

Duh i'm in the UK!!!!! Please keep responses to EU/UK please :)

I'm based in Manchester can PM details if you want, i travel to London at least once a week and am going to Bristol on Saturday if your that way?

12. macrumors 65816

You mean your surname isn't bUK? ;)

Forgot to mention that your local council should have a faculty for electronic recycling - with mine, it's next door to my local tip.

13. macrumors 603

Hey send it to me, I'll reimbuse you for the shipping.

14. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sorry about that. But I didn't want to make any assumptions based on your screenname alone. :cool:

15. macrumors member

Bloody ideal, I am also in the NW, PM me with some more details and ill get across this weekend for it.

Mike