Disposing of Old Macs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jetson, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Jetson macrumors 6502a

Jetson

I have 3 old Macintosh computers and assorted peripherals (LaserWriter II printer, modems, etc.) that I'd like to dispose of. I'm certain there is little monetary value left. If anyone here has any expertise or suggestions, please share it.

1. How do I wipe the hard disks clean?
    2. Should I dismantle the computers?
    3. Should I attempt to sell them or should I just place them in the trash?

Thanks...

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

telling us what macs they are would help a lot..

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...yes, if we new exactly what the hardware was it'd be easier to say what could be done with them. Perhaps they are still usable and can be donated somewhere...library, school, charity, senior's home etc....there are still lots of people that could use an older mac if all they want to do is send/receive email or write letters to their grand-kids etc......oh yeah!

4. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Hear hear! Any old "junky" computers you want to get rid of can still be very useful to the right people... check out any nearby public elementary schools, for example, that might not be getting adequate funding (my gf worked at an inner city elementary school in San Fran which couldn't afford anything like that, it's definitely a very worthy cause, you just have to find the right people who want that stuff)

edit: plus, think of all the kids who will grow up to be mac users! :D

5. Opteron macrumors 6502

Ship them this way
    I'll give them a good home :D

6. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

With a sledge hammer.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Thermite works too.

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

heresy! reserve sledgehammers for PCs!

9. ShermDog macrumors regular

Whatever you decide to do, don't throw them in the trash. There are toxic components in every computer that must be disposed of properly. Companies that can do this for you are often listed in the yellow pages. I'm with most every one else on donating the Macs to a school or charity. A few years back, I donated an old IIsi and 15-inch monitor to the Salvation Army administration offices. The computer was around 10 years old, but they were thrilled to have it.

10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

This might do it. Haven't tried it myself, though. And yes, once you've erased the disks, please try to find a good home for your computer.

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

If your close to the area donate the computers here . For a small fee they will recycle your mac and use the usable things in it to make a usable computer to donate to a low income family. They do not recycle anything overseas. Otherwise the computer equipment that you throw away will probaly go to China where things get dirty....

13. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

And what, exactly, is that supposed to mean?

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Donate your Macs to your local Senior Center. Many senior centers are starting computer programs, and are screaming for computers. Make their lives easier and donate Macs to them. I did it, and just used the system software to wipe the drive, and reloaded them with System 7.5.3, and Claris Works 4. Make sure any software you load, you provide the disks to them. You can get a sweet tax deduction for it.

tEG

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Probably this.

16. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Very enlightening.

I have yet to recycle my old Windows laptop, now I'm wondering what I should do.. I'm not in a position where I can give it away or sell it.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you have anything on the hard drives that is sensitive, and you plan to recycle (NOT THROW AWAY) your computers, then you can simply hammer the HD a little, put some dents in it, etc. and you will be fine. Otherwise, you can just use the system erase mechanism. Please find a computer recycling center that you can ship/take the computer parts to, it really makes a difference. Computers (especially old ones) contain lead, mercury and many many other things that you wouldn't want leeching into your water table. Thanks!

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yhea that stuff works I know from experience. aluminium dust, magnesium dust and some rust and you got something that'll melt through a car

edit:typo

19. Jetson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jetson

Getting rid of old macs in a cradle-to-cradle kind of way

Thanks everybody for all the helpful replies and enlightening remarks!

I have a Mac SE, Performa 575, PowerMac 5400/180, and a LaserWriter II printer. Also a bunch of old slow modems and 2 SCSI hard drives taking up valuable space in my garage. I might keep the Mac SE for old time sake since it was my first computer and it still works.

Those old computers will barely function on the internet today, especially with a broadband connection.

I'm currently using a 1GHz eMac with 1GB ram and an HP OfficeJet 7130 printer and love it. I've also had a 10GB iPod for about 2 years and am now wishing it was 30-40 GBs but I will have make do :)

20. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

for sure don't scrap the 5200 if it works. it would suit someone fine to run 9 or 8.6 and use it to web browse/email.

the other ones could maybe serve as little hyper card machines just for fun with os 6 or 7. I always hate to see a running mac just go to waste.

21. Makosuke macrumors 603

Funny, I just managed (I think) to find a good home for a Performa 636 with all the fixins. It's going to a school that's drastically short of computers; yes, it's a dinosaur, but it's perfectly functional for word processing, a bit of very low-end scanning, and if I can get the modem working can even provide e-mail access (though I wouldn't wish 68k web browsing on my worst enemy).

Recycling, if you find a place that doesn't just strip the gold out and landfill the rest, or send the whole mess to China, isn't a bad option if the computer doesn't work at all, but most of the time people have old comptuers that are quite functional in the right hands.

By the way, as others said, anything with a PPC chip is a lot more useful than a 68k Mac; those, you can use for MP3 juke boxes or bargain-basement file servers, and they can run OS8 or 9, so you can probably even do some functional web browsing on them (I know at least one person who manages to run a small business on a 5200, including plenty of e-mail). You can probably manage to sell those for some money.

22. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Jetson I have a few old MACs myself. I would be interested in knowing what you have and how much you want for them (including software if any)

I would like to know how the Chinese are getting all those computer parts. Here in Up-State NY "Waste Management" has just opened a multi-million $ recycling plant to salvage the precious metals from discarded PCs, MAcs, Printers, etc., now I think it's gonna be "Love Canal" all over again. So much for the Mohawk River :(

23. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Doing Nothing: Doing nothing means that you do not care who sees your data. This allows us to simply reformat the drive and use it in a rebuilt computer.

Formatting your hard drive yourself: Formatting a hard drive is not perfect, but it is generally enough to insure that most folks won't be able to read your old data. The disk will remain in working order and we will be able to format it a second time and use it in a rebuilt computer. However, formatting your hard drive might require you to consult with a geek for help.

Very True