Dissapointed about WWDC.. :(

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macfan76, Jun 28, 2004.

1. macfan76 macrumors member

Apr 3, 2004
    I don’t know about you guys, but I was very upset about this WWDC this year, considering it’s the 20th year of Apple. I'll admit the monitors are beautiful, but seriously I have no money to be spending 3,000 dollars on a monitor. I think Apple should have tackled the Home/cheaper market by releasing some hardware that seems more reasonable in price. I would think it would be the smart thing, instead of advertising VERY expensive hardware that might only be useful to graphic artist and video editors. I thought iMacs were really going to come out, I would be really disappointed if they just upgrade the specs to the iMacs and not come out with a new design. About Tiger, there were really no big surprises, helpful features, yes, but no really "innovative" new ideas. As said in the other post, Apple did really copy other programs. I am also disappointed in the style of the dashboard apps. When I saw those rumored pictures I really hoped they were fake considering it looked like nothing apple would do. Oh well... I really can’t hold my breath for apple anymore; I have to stop doing that. :( What are some of your thoughts? I would really like to know.
  2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    Yea, Steve. That 2.5GHz powermac is pretty cool. Now how about letting the consumers see how cool they are? Those G5s better ship soon! :mad:
  3. Edot macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2002

For one this is a Developers conference not a hardware peep show. And I would also like to know what OS you are using that is so much better than Tiger? Tiger will rock, and so will the apps that can be written for it.
  4. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    yeah im pretty dissapointed, someone here promised a G6 processor :eek:
  5. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    they obviously made the right decision by not broadcasting it publicly. and i can't imagine the developers that were got all chubby when they heard about the exciting potentials of javascript and Widgets. :rolleyes:
  6. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Apple is doing a big eeford to make those PCs looks good.

I mean, who would want to switch now? If you go to the Apple store and add all that you can to the system it will cost over $15.000... there is not PC computer with the same aspects that cost even half of that!

To get a Mac today is simply stupid.

I still thinking Steve Jobs has a few good PC companies under his pocket.
  7. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    yeah the current pricing is just WAY out of control. they're making it very hard for the average Joe to get on board. and don't even bring up the eMac, it's a joke that it is even on the market in this day and age with specs like. don't worry, soon OS X will be so bloated that the only computer that will run it will be a dual G5.
  8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I expected a monitor that had a touchscreen, higher resolution, lower cost, faster refresh rate for games, and built-in iSight. I'll wait for another 4 or 5 years. Tiger should have had more features too but perhaps Lion will add another 200 new features. "Lion has the Lion's share of new features compared to all prior releases of OS X" - Steve Jobs in 2007.
  9. macfan76 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 3, 2004
    my little rant...

Yeah, I know it is a developer’s conference but considering all the new hardware (G5) and software capabilities (Panther, expose) for regular consumers in last years WWDC, I think it is somewhat of a disappointment to them.

I totally agree with you. Now I really do agree with my friends that Mac is more expensive. In every aspect when I config my new G5 the price is too much.

All I can say is I hope for this new iPod generation they will not bloat this up out of proportion and bump the price to the point where I would be happy with the ones out now.

Haha, yeah only in our dreams. Ooh built in iSight, I never heard of that one... drools. I thought something with wall mount displays or touch screen we would have seen today. Lion... haha, I'm still trying to get over the name "Tiger." :D

PS: I hope Konfabulator doesn't get mad at Apple for copying the name Widgets. I thought Konfabulator made up that name... I might be totally wrong though. Konfabulator should sue! :) Also, I like the Konfabulator's new advertising "Why wait till the first half of 2005 when you can get the original dashboard now." Wow, they came up with that fast... It's almost like they had a little insight on it, little Konfabulator/Apple secret partnership maybe... haha I like making up rumors.

Oh and the sad thing about the iChat new video feature, I don’t have 3 friends that have a Mac and on top of that with an iSight to take use of that feature. All my friends are using the Windows AIM...

Haha I almost forgot... What about the "government" rumor that the department of intelligence was working with Apple to create this new Tiger. Maybe spotlight is a government feature that tracks all your search strokes and sends them back to the intelligence agency to search for terrorist under the patriot act... maybe?.. ok no :rolleyes:
  10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    And in 1984, Apple introduced the Macintosh during the Superbowl. Man I am pissed they didn't announce any new hardware during this years game. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[rant]For those of you expecting new hardware to be announced, you were severely mislead by all the fanatics on this very site who think new hardware should come every month. I for one didn't expect any new hardware, and even mentioned it here and thought the focus SHOULD be on Software.

Im jacked for Tiger and XCode 2, so I am very pleased although the release date could have been a tad sooner for me.

For those of you who are going to cry home to mama that you didn't get your iMac G5 or 3Ghz macs, just accept that they will come just not today. I mean the Apple computers are only as good as the software that runs on them, so you should all just settle down and stop whining. You all sound like a bunch of junior high kids who didn't get that pizza party the teacher promised.[/rant]
  11. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Ummm... where are you shopping? A maxed out Dual 2.5 GHz without monitors and with 512 megs of RAM is $4103. A similarly configured Alienware single P4 3.2 is $5199. You can add RAM to either machine at comparable prices (though obviously the Mac will accept twice as much), and you can buy any DVI monitor for either machine--so obviously a comparably maxed out Alienware machine (but with just a single CPU) costs more.
  12. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Jun 9, 2004
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    maybe Apple made a mistake...

not by failing to introduce a line of crazy-new consumer products at WWDC 2004, but by doing so in 2003. I guess last year was the exception. Maybe introducing the G5 at last year's WWDC was like feeding a stray cat (in this case the consumer market)... feed it once and it keeps coming back, but be careful because if you don't feed it, it'll start howling and crying.
  13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Its not the Expo, its the Developers Conference. Why would they 'introduce a line of crazy-new consumer products'? :rolleyes:

Tiger, new monitors (even with the price issue) and a new graphics card isn't that bad.

I just have to agree that in general it was a little underwhelming.

14. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    They introduced the G5 at the WWDC last year because it was NEW NEXT GENERATION architecture being presented and demonstrated to SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS... :rolleyes: ;)
  15. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Why is it stupid?? the eMac really isn't a bad machine at all... ;) you're taking it to the extremes... :rolleyes:

Sure it's easy to say a Dual 2.5GHz PowerMac with Dual 30' Displays etc etc is going to cost serious $$$$, but then the people that need that kind of hardware will make $15k easily with a month ;)
  16. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Did anybody who is dissapointed by WWDC actually go? If not, then this event WAS NOT FOR YOU. MW/Apple Expo is your event.
  17. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Houston, TX
    did you atleast watch the stream! At first I thought it was lame, however after I watched the stream the things looked a lot better. :)
  18. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    Ditto. At first, I thougt it was a damp affair. But after seeing the video today morning, it was a pretty good one. Expecting new hardware was not fair, with almost every line getting upgraded in last few months. And I am now liking tiger too. :cool:

19. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

I'm getting so bored of the "WWDC 2004 was sooo disapointing" rants.... The people expecting G5 imacs etc all seem to be missing the point. Personally I was chuffed to death with Tiger (aside from the name) and my 30inch display is going to look great when it finally gets delivered!
  20. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Danrose, i agree.

I've never seen so much whining, i'd buy those monitors in a heartbeat if i had the cash and a more capable machine, competitors are offering what?. I except I cannot however since i'm a poor student.

Windows zealots have us all wrong, we don't follow SJ or his RDF blindly, we moan at him blindly!
  21. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Recent public announcements prior to WWDC:

ITMS Europe
    Airport Express
    G5 2.5ghz
    PB upgrade

Not a bad run for 20th anniversary.

With the admittance that G5 iMac and PBs will be a long ways coming, I wasn't expecting much for the consumer at my level during WWDC. I thought the DEvelopers seems to think it was quite good though.
  22. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    We've also seen updates to the eMac, new Xserve G5's, updated iBooks and new Motion software as well. :)
  23. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

THATS RIGHT!!! :) :D :)

Look at all the cool stuff thats happened this year outside of the wwdc and you cant help but be happy! Now I just want to know if they can retrofit the iPod conection kit to my Mini cooper!..... if and when we actually get it in the UK.... :eek:
  24. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Its only the 6th month of the year remember...
  25. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Yes, perhaps we will get a nice christmas present.... or a treat at halloween!