Dissection of the Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 4, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Looks to me like there's a ton of space left over in there. Bluetooth is a certainty, for the 234623454 people complaining about it on the main thread.

3. macrumors 65816

Once it gets Bluetooth and a couple of batteries I bet that sucker will weigh double what it is now.

Like I need more wrist strain.

4. macrumors G5

nagromme

Discussed here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1641615&posted=1#post1641615
    Along with my reasoning for why that right-side sensor IS necessary.

As for BT weight--a lot of people like BT mice all the same! I like some resistance--friction or weight--for precision mousing, myself. That's what I dislike about trackballs: very little low-speed resistance for precision aiming. (I once jammed a little piece of tissue into a trackball at just the right spot and increased my accuracy hugely without giving up high-speed mousing across the screen.)

And a lot of people seem to want a huge, tall mouse that bears the whole weight of their hand. Talk about extra effort! That's more weight than any battery.

5. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ah, so now I see that the scroll ball does seem to actually roll and does not act like the thinkpad pointer.

6. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It never ceases to amaze me when people take new stuff apart. Oh the love of it.

7. macrumors member

Mighty Mouse should have "Mighty Bluetooth"

where it has some sort of retractable USB cableon the underside. you plug it in, charges the mouse. Unplug it, bluetooth.

8. macrumors member

9. macrumors regular

actually, it does NOT roll. i have a mighty and its a soft rubber nipple (will wear out or could get cut/damaged) which moves very slighty left right up down - needs only minimal touch.

it is like the thinkpad pointer.

10. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, really? Okay. Thanks. That's actually my preference, I think. We were discussing it in another thread... a rolling ball could easily get dirty. :(

Now it woulda been really amazing if they just had a marked spot on the surface that was flush and similar material to the main body, but did rolling with audio feedback when you touched it, à la buttons on the 3G iPods.... :D

11. macrumors 6502

Actually it does roll.
    Actually it is not a soft rubber nipple.
    Actually it is not like the thinkpad pointer.
    Actually you are full of... well, you get the idea.

12. macrumors regular

oh ****, sorry. I was wrong.

Cant believe i got it soo wrong. I was convinced without even lokoing closely that it was a nipple.... IT DOES ROLL.

My apologies :eek:

13. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan