Distance -LCD TV ,,,

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by surajnangia, Nov 17, 2006.

1. surajnangia macrumors 6502

The distance from the TV to where i sit is around 14 feet,

I do have a 40 inch samsung Bordeux in my other room. the picture feels great from 20 feet but as soon as i go around 12-13 feet , picture feels very bad..

I wanted to know if i buy my new TV as sharp aquas... 37 inch will the picture of that be better than samsung one cause its 3 inch smaller..

Plz help as i am planning to buy the TV tom.. which one shld i go for..

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What source is the programming coming from?

My 40" Samsung (which should be similar to yours) looks great with HD programming from DirecTV or HD trailers from Apple even WAY up close (~ 3 feet).

No TV is going to make SD look particularly good on an HD set up close.

B

3. surajnangia thread starter macrumors 6502

but anyways how to do compare sharp with samsung...

I live in India so we dont get like HB cable tv out here...
    But if i see from 20 feet away in my samsun the picture looks great

But in my new room i have a max distance of 14 feet
    So i am a little weary abt that

4. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

A good approximation of the minimum distance is that you should be sitting at least 3 times the length of your tv diagonal away from the tv. So you want to be at least 3x 37" away from it. Even so, with SDtv more distance is better, because you'll notice less pixels. For DVDs you could always more in closer.

And for what its worth, the current Sharp and Samsung panels are very good!

5. surajnangia thread starter macrumors 6502

6. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Consumer Reports does a good job evaluating this problem (available online). Some HDTVs definitely better than others dealing with standard signals. Also connection used (component, composite, s-video, hdmi) makes a difference, and highest not always best since picks up everything. Some other evaluations online, but never as sure of objectivity. also, not sure with most recent models, but lower priced Sony (not Bravia) used to be better dealing with standard signals IIRC.

7. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I have the previous V-series Sony Bravia LCD tv (32 inch), see attached image. I think its fantastic. The colors are superb and the picture is great. Granted, on SD a regular CRT is better, but when I pop in a dvd the quality is fantastic.

Attached Files: