Distant Future: Intel Mac purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wrldwzrd89, Jun 4, 2006.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I know for certain that my next Mac will have an Intel processor inside, and I know I won't be getting it for a LONG time, since I finally found a Mac with a hard drive big enough and a processor that doesn't hold me back (that is still PowerPC) in this iMac G5 I have.

However, what I'm curious about is everyone's thoughts on PowerPC support in Mac OS X releases beyond 10.5. If PowerPC support goes away before I've had this Mac for 3-5 years (which I hope it doesn't), will I be stuck? I'd hate to be stuck with an older Mac OS X release just because I haven't gone Intel yet :(

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

PowerPC support will no longer exist when the next OS after X appears. That's my guess.

The existing majority of Macs in use are still PowerPC. A solid market there for selling upgrades.

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

yes they have WAY too many customers on powerpc for them NOT to support them in the next few OSX versions/updates.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

What type of your iMac G5, if the Graphics card is 128Mbs, i'd bet you'll be good for 10.7 with all the good stuff..after that it won't be your Spec of your hardware holding you back, it will be your PPC make, i'd say you good for at least the next 3 years plus

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is what my System Profiler says for Graphics/Displays:

I assume you mean the 128 MB of VRAM.

6. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Of course leopard will most definitely support PPC, but after that, I think it will start to heavily lean towards intel machines. But I wouldn't worry about it- I don't think PPC will be phased out for quite a while.