Distortion

Discussion in 'iPod' started by taylorpc, Jan 25, 2006.

1. taylorpc macrumors member

Just a quick question... I've noticed that some of the songs I'm listening to with my 5G 30 gig sound considerably distorted.... especially those in the "rock" genre. I'm using Grado SR 80s, and I'm only turning the volume up to about 65-70 percent. In fact, the distortion seems to be there (particularly at loud or intense parts of the song) at any volume level. Could it be the headphones, the ipod, itunes, or MP3's in general? Any input would be appreciated!

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Work on narrowing down what the problem could be with tests such as:

-Trying the headphones with another source (possibly CD player, other computer, other MP3 player).

-Trying the songs with a different sound output (such as other speakers).

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I had the same problem (also with a 5G, but a 60GB for me)

I narrowed it down to a combination of headphones and bad quality MP3 files.

The songs where I heard distortion were all ripped on a lower quality setting MP3 (not yet noticed the problem with AAC, but could be coincidence). I could hear distortion in exactly the same place each time in each song when I listened on my computer with a decent set of speakers.

However, the headphones I was using really accentuated the distortion when listening on the iPod.

Interestingly, I noticed this more on slower, acoustic type songs rather than on rock where it tended to get swamped in all the intended distortion