Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauljwells

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I'm writing an App using python with a GUI in wxpython (for cross-platform compatibility) and packaging using py2app. It has to have the 'Open in 32-bit mode' checkbox checked (in the 'get info' dialogue) in order to run.

Where is this flag actually stored? I can't find any preference file that registers it.

I want to be able to distribute the app with this option already checked instead of having to instruct the user to do it.

Anybody know? Many thanks in advance!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I guess you just need to only compile against the 32-bit version of Python.

But to be honest at this point you should be coding 64-bit safe so it shouldn't matter.

pauljwells

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I guess you just need to only compile against the 32-bit version of Python.

But to be honest at this point you should be coding 64-bit safe so it shouldn't matter.

Thanks! I just ran the setup.py in python2.5 and this makes the app 32-bit only, so it fixes the problem.

The program is a lot of number crunching in python (because of the availability of lots of libraries that already do most of what I need, and execution time isn't a problem) and the GUI is just a few buttons and text fields, nothing fancy. So using wx lets me distribute on mac, windows or linux. Wx is a carbon library so this is what forces the 32-bitness...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.