distributed.net performance - WOW!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by kilpajr, Oct 20, 2004.

1. kilpajr macrumors regular

I just installed distributed.net on my PB and all I can say is WOW! I have been running this on my P3-700 Dell laptop for not quite 2 years. My Dell gets around 1.4 - 1.5 million keys/s. So I decided to test the performance of my PB. I was thinking, OK I have approximately twice the speed so with the other improvements, I will get 3 - 5 times the performance. I am getting 10 times the performance! I am getting about 15 million keys/s. Consider this, on my Dell it takes about 1 minute for 1 dot to show up on the screen. Now, it takes about 6 seconds.

Oh, and before everyone starts complaining, I just wanted to test this out. I am spending most of my spare CPU cycles on Folding@Home.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't used dnetc for years, but I remember it being slow. I just tried it on my G4, it takes about 5 seconds per dot :D

3. DrBoar macrumors member

Distributed net scream on the G4 compared to x86, as I recall there is a type of divide that is implemented in the G4 hardware that is not in the x86 so in this particular instance the G4 is the king od the hill :rolleyes:

Being a scientist I prefer to let my computer do real science in Fold@home and Predictor (it it gets up agian) :)

4. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

it's the hardware rotate operations

http://n0cgi.distributed.net/faq/cache/55.html

RC5 is pretty much a pissing match, but one the mac excels at. i think, a lot of the top european RC5 teams cheat

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

consider crunching for team xlr8yourmac if you're not already :)

we're trying to pass zie germanz