Disturbing Male Rape

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Waluigi, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Daytona Man Raped In Girlfriend's Car

Very touchy subject: rape. I've heard a lot of horror stories, where women have been raped. While most of those cases are very disturbing, when a straight male gets raped, I think that it is worse. I'm not saying rape is good, it is a horrible crime. I'm not saying raping a women is in any way shape or form acceptable. I'm just saying that when women have sex, the man performs the same act as they would in a rape(in a totally different manner, yes, I know, RAPE IS BAD, I'm not justifying it).

However, if a man rapes a straight man, it is a totally different situation. When men have sex with women, they don't have anything penetrating up their butt, or have to swallow another guy's excrements. They are forced to do or receive something they will never do, which makes it a worse crime.

If possible, hopefully we can have an intelligent, discussion on this. If I have offended anyone, I'm very sorry. I'm not trying to hurt any feelings. Any rape is a horrible crime. I just think that male rape is worse then female rape.

--Waluigi

EDIT: Posted in political and war discussion because it would most likely be moved here anyway.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Rape isn't about sex, it's about control and power. It doesn't matter how you are humiliated, it's all the same result.

Guys can't end up pregnant as a result of rape, so that adds a little something extra for women.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

ahhhhhhhhh right... so gay sex is more distasteful than straight sex. whats if the woman raped is lesbian? is that just as distasteful as a straight man raped by a gay man? This is the discussion you are looking to have here? what kind of rape is worse?

You have not offened me at all, i just think this is the most idiotic post I have ever seen on a forum.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Often female victims of rape are sodomized as well.

I really can't believe you would try to say something like this. Seriously, rape is rape is rape. It doesn't matter who, how, where or anything like that. It's the experience of being helpless and violated that makes it such a horrible crime, not which pipe it goes in.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The only reason I can imagine that you would think the rape of a man worse is because you are a man and hadn't truly considered the effect of a rape on a woman.

If nothing else, it's opened your eyes.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

rape is a crime of violence. i wouldn't dare argue that hitting a man is worse than hitting a woman.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Waluigi, you might be interested in picking up a copy of Deliverance and reading it. The movie is pretty good, but the book is much better.:p

8. Waluigi thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I'll look into that.

EDIT: Is this the book your talking about?

To the others:

I'm not trying to defend rape at all. I was just even more grossed out by reading this story then rape stories of women being raped. Maybe I'm being naive, but that was just my gut reaction. I'm also not saying it is less of a crime to rape a women. I do believe if a male was raped by a male, it would be a worse experience then a women being raped by a male, all other factors being equal except the victim's gender. Regardless, rape is a bad bad bad crime, as I have said over and over. I'm just trying to have a discussion about it.

--Waluigi

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Rape is in my mind the most serious crime one can commit short of murder.

Waluigi, the media has de-sensitized many people to female rape. Regardless of gender it is a heinous and vile crime. Rape is rape.

10. shecky Guest

shecky

do you even know how much of an ignorant moron you sound like when you say that?

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You are seeing it through the prism of your own experience as a man. You could probably make a similar judgement if you were a woman if you considered the possibility of pregnancy, the harm it does to your ability to be intimate with any man again, a feeling of being unable to defend yourself because you are smaller etc. And what of women who are sodomized?

I don't think it matters. The sexual experience is but a small part of the trauma of rape. The psychological effects are far more serious, and they last much longer.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's the book. Dickey is a masterful poet, his imagery is amazingly powerful.

13. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Rape is not about sex. Its about humiliation and loss of control. Doesn't matter if the victim is a man or a woman. The psychological trauma is still as intense.

Thats why I do not (and neither should anyone else) subscribe to the notion that you should be passive when a crime is being committed, be it rape, or robbery. You want to make it as costly as possible for the criminal. In fact, its better if the criminal is dead. Dead criminals can't go on victimizing another victim. :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. Waluigi thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, I think you hit it dead-on, with the de-sensitized point.

Also, another true statement. See, this is why I like discussing things. I wouldn't have realized that until you pointed it out. I'm going to go rethink this whole issue. [this may sound sarcastic, but it is not]

That is exactly what I'm trying not to do. I seriously think rape is horrible. I also think discussing it is a healthy thing to do because we can all [espically me] learn about it. I'm trying to be good, I really don't have bad intentions.

--Waluigi

15. Waluigi thread starter macrumors 6502

On a somewhat related note:

Bill Mahr said something about how if you say "women are smarter then men", people will clap, and say 'thats right, thats right!". However, if you said "men are smarter then women", people will thing your a crazy nut case. I guess he was pointing out that it is a stupid PC thing. Again, I'm just trying to discuss this, even if it isn't PC.

--Waluigi

16. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I saw that show and wholeheartedly agree with that statement...

When I first read the thread title, I thought, how can a woman 'force' a man to get an erection...and I was seemingly misinformed....

I like how everyone gangs up on Waluigi for his opinions...

As for the subject of rape being desensitized, maybe it has to do with their being a woman-rape channel, also known as Lifetime, Television for bored lesbian housewives.

Honestly if we want to make rape a serious subject, how about we stop portraying all men as rapists on cable tv.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

given how everyone (myself included) jumped on you, i have to say you handled it in stride.

18. Waluigi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

--Waluigi

19. Pinto macrumors newbie

I was listening to talkback radio in England once (Radio 5 Live with Nicky)

They were talking about rape when a older guy called up and claimed that as the thigh muscles were the strongest muscles in the human body it was actually impossible to have sex with a woman who didn't want it.

All she had to do was keep her legs closed.

A deathly silence ensued.....

20. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

That assumes:
    1) It isn't sodomy
    2) No drugs (IE Ketamine) were involved
    3) That the attackers arms are in fact weaker then the victem's thighs

21. Pinto macrumors newbie

4) And she hasn't got a knife to her throat.

22. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The jaw is the strongest muscle in the body, but that's beside the point.

The fact is that rape is wrong, but so are the characterizations of men as rapists that you'll see on cable telvision. I've known so many women who were frustrated and even pissed off just because a guy liked her, but her feelings didn't reciprocate. Heck, I've been the subject of such (as I'm sure many of us have). My heart bleeds for these women because they've bought into the lie that if a guy likes her, she either has to hate him or like him back.

As for the battle of the sexes, it bothers me that there is a battle in the first place. Men and women are different from one another and I believe that's the whole beauty of the system. I'm sick of women who want to be manly. They should be happy to be women.

I don't mean that to be misognyst. I'm not saying women can't work or be good at "men's work". What I AM saying is that more women should be accepting of the fact that they are women and that's a good thing too. On the other side of the coin, men need to stop repressing women (I believe it still happens today) and truly be egalitarian. Perhaps if men give women the freedom, rights, and privileges they deserve, women won't feel the need to be "manly" and just be happy to be who they are.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I don't know where you see that problem, but there's an easy solution for it:

stop watching network (cable included) TV. It's a waste of life.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the portrayals of "real life" on TV are notoriously inaccurate.

Tazo, what do you think of The Man Show?

25. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I don't care for the show...no matter how many drunk white alcoholics they put on cable tv next to 'girls on trampolines' :rolleyes: Its a dumb show honestly, the chicks are hot, but honestly I cant stand to watch it for more than a few moments.