Disturbing New Tread: Radical Feminism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stoid, Jul 14, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Disclaimer: I am in no way an expert in the field of discussion. The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect any more than a casual observation made in the mall today. I am not accusing anyone of anything, just asking opinions on a subject but NOT trying to force mine on you! ;)

I don't mean this in the sense of rational adults making choices but rather little children. I am extremely disturbed when I see little girls (ages 9-14 or so) wearing these shirts that say "Boys are toys" "Boys are stupid" "I play with boys" and other derogatory terms of that nature. There would undoubtedly be a riotous upset if boys of the same age started wearing T-shirts displaying the same language about girls! Why this double standard? I understand that not long ago women were seen as inferior by men and constrained to the house. I also understand that in quite a number of ways women are still treated unfairly in the workplace. But should this be cause to support these radically feministic ideas? It's one thing for a girl to have high self-esteem and wear a T-shirt that says Princess or Angel, but to trash the opposite gender is going too far in my humble opinion.

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It's part of the pacification of the American male. Metro-sexuals, for example, is what guys...excuse me, losers strive for these days. They care more about thier appearance than women do. We used to be rugged and rigid. we used to hate talking on the phone. Look at all the guys walking down the street talking on thier cell phones ad nauseum.

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I would agree that the problem resides partially in the male trying too hard to 'get in touch with his female side.' It seems to me that more and more guys are winding up in 'whipped' relationships where they do everything and anything that their girlfriend says without thought. My opinion is that if she can't love you without you being her slave, then the love is NOT there. I believe that a man should give up his own will for his wife's needs, but what I see happening is more closely associated with slavery than love, and that is not good whoever is in what position.

4. Dros macrumors 6502

"I play with boys"?

5. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

With the attitude that they are playing with the boys emotions as if the boy is a possession.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It does seem dangerously provocative. What do their brothers think about it?

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think it also points to the parents.

I remember my parents words very well, "As long as you live under my roof, you'll abide by my rules. Unless you want to start paying the mortgage, electric and telephone bills..."

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Indeed. My wife teaches 8th grade language arts and sees a lot of interesting things, as you might imagine. At the school's "awards" day, near the end of the school year last year, one 8th grade girl proudly wore a t-shirt that read, "Ladies are Pimps Too." I can't imagine that the girl's parents don't know that she has that shirt; they may have even paid for it.

Some of the teachers have debated printing up t-shirts that read "Teachers are Pimps Too," but they suspect there's a school board policy prohibiting that. ;)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't see any political agenda here, just garden-variety stupidity in action.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I agree with Chip. This is up to the parent. If my daughter was ever seen by me wearing a shirt that said that there would be hell to pay. If my wife ever bought her one, there would be even bigger hell to pay. 9 year olds have to have someone pay for their clothing, as they don't work yet. So, who is buying it?

It is a downfall of our society that children are no longer allowed to be children. They are children, then adults. It is the corporations that have stolen our children away from us through marketing, and convincing them that they need certain things.

For example. My 6 year old daughter informed my wife and I last week that she thinks she is getting fat, and got to were she did not want to eat. Can you believe that! At 6! So, the TV is gone for her. Period. I am not going to let corporate America destory my daughter.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good for you. I don't have children, but if I did, I wouldn't want them to see TV at all, or to use the Internet unsupervised. I don't envy parents their jobs keeping their kids away from bad influences (which includes the pernicious effects of marketing).

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

How so?

13. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

It is interesting how we have such extreme swings in this country, though, isn't it? I think the government (esp. in terms of laws and internal enforcement) is far too reactive.

9/11 happened? Lets swing towards a big-brother state. Discrimination of minorities and women exists? Lets vilify white males. The Mexicans "took 'r jobs"? Lets take away all their rights. The Mexicans are now pooped on? Lets give them the world on a platter. The Mexicans now have to much? Lets take away everything again....etc., etc.

Every time a new "crisis" presents itselfs it seems like people just pick the easiest and most obvious solution without thinking about if its the best solution. Lawmakers are high on my list of the "problem makers," but the public shares as mush blame. The public is too reactive and the lawmakers listen to the public too much (read: self-preservation).

We are a country constantly swinging back and forth on issues. Its giving me an identity crisis.

Taft

14. vniow macrumors G4

Because based on what I know about radical feminism (and having more than a few friends who subscribe to such) what the original post is about has nothing to do with anything that would even be considered 'radical feminism'.

This is an odd thread.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

No fighting?

Lethal

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

True feminists are not anti-male. There is no equality unless all are equal.

I was walking on campus one afternoon in the spring and a young woman had on a shirt that read something like: All men should be on leashes.

I wondered how people would react if it said all women should be on leashes? I thought the shirt was completely inappropriate.

I was in a store and they had little notebooks that said things like: Boys are stinky. Well, yes, some are. But why put it on a notebook? I presume that it is intended for preteens and teenagers. I also that was inappropriate and wondered what people would say if it said all girls were _____.

Today in the class I'm student teaching one of the teachers killed a wasp. The other teacher told her not to "cry like a girl" (they are both females).

Wow. Sexism still exists.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed. I would suggest that anyone who thinks this is representative of radical feminism has never met a radical feminist. They are angry, angry people (but then again, aren't most radicals?) who would say much harsher things about men than 'boys are stinky'.

What you people are seeing is corporate America marketing to the baser among us. I mean, it's not like the girl screened that shirt herself, someone designed it at a clothing company to appeal to her. And her parents failed her by allowing her to wear it.

18. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

True, radical feminists are more inclined to make statements such as "all intercourse is an act of violence against females."

In regards to the t-shirts, I cannot articulate how tired I am getting of "gender wars." Bickering over a chromosone seems entirely pointless and I cannot belive that some parents are ignorant enough to instill this in their children.

These certainly aren't radical feminist statements they are making but I would be willing to wager that a child raised in an environment where sexism is not only allowed but encouraged in this fashion is far more likely to become a radical feminist.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Or a radical mysogynist. Radicals come in both flavors you know. Only the 'graciously submit' people are much more acceptable in our society for some reason.

20. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

While the T-shirts would not be radical, but more likely silly on a full grown adult, it is on 9 year olds that I find disturbing. If children are fed this crap now, they will be more likely to accept hateful and inappropriate behavior when they become adults.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

<spinal tap>
    ohh, she turned the tables...
    </spinal tap>

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What if it said 'All dogs should be on a leash'? Oh wait, those signs are everywhere. My poor dog...

23. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

More like reverse mysogeny....

Living in Santa Cruz I see a more.... er... frightening.... version of radical feminism: Wymynists are like the classic "bulldyke" image but half of em are technically straight. Often they're the "Man hate" lesbians you see on university campuses. Wymynists are the percieved worst traights of men badly parodied in women who often have a beef with males at large either because of one bad (sometimes just mildly so) relationship or often because of early abuse. Rather than getting counselling they get socially violent.(as opposed to physically... a uniquely Female ability I might add...)

The rationalle is often that ALL the bad things that humanity has ever done are directly attributable to MALES. They neglect to remember that a man's main motivation for ANYTHING is his woman, his mother, his Daughters... etc. That's even above and beyond his Ego. It's hard to explain to a woman that a man's ego is based mostly on his ability to provide for and protect his woman/women.

24. vniow macrumors G4

But they're so hot!