Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thevessels

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
well i have an airport extreme - and it works fine here at home ..
but im headin off to college in a week
i need some good reasons to splurge and get the express tommorow
ill be living in a dorm - and i just think an express would be so sweet
or should i stick it old school and keep the 'ol extreme chuggin ?
can anyone give me any reasons to get an express - or any reasons just to keep the extreme ?
hmmmmm

Lugonn

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2004
I'm in the same boat. Running Extreme on a base station and want to go to Express.

In my very limited research the biggest difference (which is a non issue) is the support of 50 users (Extreme) vs. 10 users (Express).

Someone more knowledgable please speak up.

srphoto

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2004
The only diference that the average user will see is SIZE. Which college student will have more then 10 computers to put on a network? Or have a good enough connection for that matter.

If u want a small router just get something non-apple. I got this netgear piece thats just a drop bigger then the express for 20 bucks!!! (after rebate)
Its not as sexy of course but thats life... :p

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
The Biggest Difference will be......

The Biggest difference will be size, the ablity to use it to turn a usb printer into a wireless network printer, and airtunes (plus i piece of software i just heard about was released that let you play the audio from "almost" any application rather then itunes. Oh ya and its infanitly sexyer. It is trues that only ten user will be able to on its network at one time rather then the extremes 50 people but in a dorm envirament your never gonna have more then 10 people on there anyway at one time. SO I would say that if you can sell your extreme for enough mony for an express do it. I have an express and a I love it. Its so verastile and its great to have it on trips. I mean say your at your friends house of something and all the have is a wired network, how cool is it to just be able to pull an express out of ur breif case and in about 2 min. have a wireless internet going. :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
srphoto said:
The only diference that the average user will see is SIZE. Which college student will have more then 10 computers to put on a network? Or have a good enough connection for that matter.

If u want a small router just get something non-apple. I got this netgear piece thats just a drop bigger then the express for 20 bucks!!! (after rebate)
Its not as sexy of course but thats life... :p

Are you referring to this WiFi router:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

Will it work with AirPort Express Cards, want a second opinion I am sure it will however some reassurance helps. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Actually, I have both - an AirPort Extreme and an AirPort Express. The reason I have both is that my part of the house gets lousy wireless reception, so I used the Express to extend the network over here. Now, I get near-full reception all the time.

There are 3 good reasons I can think of to buy an AirPort Express:

1. Size - this thing's DESIGNED to be used on the go, and it's very portable. The electrical plug folds up neatly, like the power bricks for Apple's PowerBooks and iBooks.
2, Turn ANY USB printer into a wireless printer. Now that's cool.
3. AirTunes. Send your music anywhere you can plug the base station in. Handy for college parties.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I'd be glad to trade my Airport Express base station for an Airport Extreme base station.

Airtunes is great. My brother uses that feature every day with his Airport Express base station at his place. But I don't use it at my place.

The Express is super convenient for travel, but mine stays put. I may as well have the Extreme instead of the Express.

PM me or catch me on iChat about an even trade. Thanks.

srphoto

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2004
m a y a said:
Are you referring to this WiFi router:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

Will it work with AirPort Express Cards, want a second opinion I am sure it will however some reassurance helps. :)
Yup thats what i have!
Works great, same, maybe better then my friends express and a 5 times less money!!
Id recomend it to all those that need a wireless router. Yeh the express does have some cool features.But u gotta ask yourself, will u use them? And are they worth 110 bucks??
Good luck!! :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
srphoto said:
Yup thats what i have!
Works great, same, maybe better then my friends express and a 5 times less money!!
Id recomend it to all those that need a wireless router. Yeh the express does have some cool features.But u gotta ask yourself, will u use them? And are they worth 110 bucks??
Good luck!! :D

Thank You, I will snag one of these up to since I had some issues with the D-Link one. :(

Have no requirement for AirTunes or WiFi network printing at current since no one on the network even prints much maybe once in 3 months everything is digital paper here. :)

And have an iPod since I am mostly mobile. This product does not look ugly when compared to LinkSys or D-Link it looks better one step below Apple and at a great price. :)

Thanks once again. :)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
we have two!

We have a large house, and my dad puts the extreme base in his office and then we "connect" two express's that extend to the rest of the house. We have two tv rooms, both with surround sound systems and the airtunes feature is great! I just it in the chair and surf the web while I play music through the speakers. The only reason why the one in the office is an extreme is because we bought it before the express came out. My dad is an musician, so he's a little crazy when it comes to having good sound when it comes to watching tv and listening to music, which is why we have the two surround sound systems. I'm not complaining. :)

srphoto

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2004
m a y a said:
Thank You, I will snag one of these up to since I had some issues with the D-Link one. :(

Have no requirement for AirTunes or WiFi network printing at current since no one on the network even prints much maybe once in 3 months everything is digital paper here. :)

And have an iPod since I am mostly mobile. This product does not look ugly when compared to LinkSys or D-Link it looks better one step below Apple and at a great price. :)

Thanks once again. :)

Yup my pleasure!
The only thing that surprised me about it was the bulky adapter plug. Its one of those big units...
Other then that its great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.