Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TouchID

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I atill remember I lines up to get the iPad 2 and only 3 months later I decided to sell it because I ddnt find any use for it... Having a single device, iPhone, it's much more convenient.

Anyways, if Apple decides to release a 5" iPhone... I can almost guarantee the sales of iPad will fall of the cliff instantly

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
This surprises me . . .

There are many of us who do not have perfect vision and Apple decides to continue a path where some of the text on the screen should remain in very very small fonts.

This surprises me. As a developer Apple spends a fair amount of time encouraging us to implement assistive technology. For iOS itself, have you checked out Settings / General / Accessibility? There are several OS-level adjustments for Vision, several for Physical and Motor, a few for Hearing, and one for Learning.

I'm grateful that I don't need to use these myself, and I'm not intimately familiar with how helpful these actually are. But I've noticed them over the years. That said, obviously you should get whatever device works best for you.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
This surprises me. As a developer Apple spends a fair amount of time encouraging us to implement assistive technology. For iOS itself, have you checked out Settings / General / Accessibility? There are several OS-level adjustments for Vision, several for Physical and Motor, a few for Hearing, and one for Learning.

I'm grateful that I don't need to use these myself, and I'm not intimately familiar with how helpful these actually are. But I've noticed them over the years. That said, obviously you should get whatever device works best for you.

Thanks for your input and response. I will say I am aware of these items but the reality is - it wouldn't take much to have a screen that is more in tune with those that have either visual issues or simply would like to look at their phone from a bit of a distance.

Main screen (again) offer up a 3x3 instead of a 4x4 so that icons and their title fonts can be larger (on the iPhone).

I have to laugh at the iPad as it has so much screen real estate yet submenus at the bottom remain in very small fonts. Absolutely no reason other than form over function for this.

IOS7 not only remains in many areas with small fonts but also makes them medium/light blue on white. Looks beautiful yet doesn't improve ability to quickly read.

I just remind myself how years ago I spent literally hundreds of hours working with improving the use of screens within certain applications while under DOS. - Using both ascii and when possible ansi to make a more useful and inviting screen. Real estate of the screen was extremely important as well as not being overly busy. When Windows started putting window upon window upon window we laughed at how much time end uses wasted having to go through them all when one or two screens would have been faster and more "logical" to the end user. Apple should step back and simply realize it isn't the end of the world to compromise their form for function and stop with the "work around if you have an issue" mindset. Allow users options for 3x3 or 3x4, allow larger text in submenus and if need be spill onto a "next" page etc. If the word Next or More is too much then a small arrow that is perhaps only 1-2 character spaces would work.

If I offended you and others that do a lot of the great work in programming I publicly apologize. This was not my intent but more a jab at Apple in general for missing the obvious.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
So, I have been using an ipad 3 sparingly for over a year. And to my conclusion that device don't fit in my ecosystem. Ipad was what i wanted not what I needed.. I never took it outside .. aahh it was too heavy a ipad.. I cant type comfortably while holding it neither i can watch videos or read on it for long time. I dont game much.. And forget about the usage in bed this thing gave me serious pain to the wrists.. Tried the ipad mini but its experience almost same as iphone 5 while latter being the more lighter:D

I believe that iphone 5 best suffices my portable IOS needs.. and at home mix usage of MBP 13 with SSD and iphone 5 suits me well.:) Browsing on iphone 5 screen really dont hurt much.;)

Anyone who feels the same.??

Thanks for letting us know:eek:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Anyways, if Apple decides to release a 5" iPhone... I can almost guarantee the sales of iPad will fall of the cliff instantly

I guess that Samsung has much better sales/marketing people then, since they successfully sell phones ranging from 1" to about 6,5" and tablets from 7" to 12" or so.

Connect IT

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
Dallas, GA
I'm in the middle. I really want the ipad mini, with a retina screen, and phone capabilities.

That would be my one device to rule them all.

This is EXACTLY what I want!! I recently replaced my iPhone 5 with my iPad Mini. I'm using Talkatone with my Google Voice number for my phone needs, and it works pretty good. But, an iPad Mini with the phone app and hardware would be awesome!

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Judged on its own terms--the ipad is fantastic device. However--many posters here want a more productivity oriented tablet device capable of running X86 software, with an addressable file tree, digitizer and pc-like ports. Fortunately--these devices are now becoming available on the win8 side, and will only get better. I think its better for the ipad to maintain its identity and simplicity. If apple want to compete in the productivity arena--it should make a new product.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
So, I have been using an ipad 3 sparingly for over a year. And to my conclusion that device don't fit in my ecosystem. Ipad was what i wanted not what I needed.. I never took it outside .. aahh it was too heavy a ipad.. I cant type comfortably while holding it neither i can watch videos or read on it for long time. I dont game much.. And forget about the usage in bed this thing gave me serious pain to the wrists.. Tried the ipad mini but its experience almost same as iphone 5 while latter being the more lighter:D

I believe that iphone 5 best suffices my portable IOS needs.. and at home mix usage of MBP 13 with SSD and iphone 5 suits me well.:) Browsing on iphone 5 screen really dont hurt much.;)

If Apple finally caves in and releases an iPhone 6 with a larger screen (even just a modestly larger one like 4.4") I think I would just stick with THAT iPhone and ditch any longing for iPad/Mini altogether. Which would put me in the same mind as you.

But at this very moment.... NO. The iPhone is still quite small. Too small to do ANYTHING that a tablet can do far better (e.g. web surfing sucks donkey arse on an iPhone's small screen at this time, and web surfing on a tablet even an iPad Mini is ten times better experience).

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I really like having an Ipad for internet use around the house. Granted, I don't really like the weight of my Ipad 3. I am hoping the Ipad mini 2 has a retina display, if it does it will be a day one purchase for me. If it doesn't I might get an 8" Android tablet. I enjoy having an ipad but the majority of time at home is spent on my 13" MBA.

When it comes to phones though I stay away from Iphones because of the small screen size. My wife has the Iphone 5 and although I think it is an incredible device I just can't deal with that tiny screen. I have the Samsung Note 2 and for me it's the perfect size phone. If apple releases an iphone that is 5.3" or larger I will definitely switch to it.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I feel that the iPhone screen is too small, the experience is different for me on the mini. I use my mini often for digital textbooks at school, along with internet usage for research and such. The iPhone screen just doesnt cut it for me personally. Hopefully a 6" iPhone 6 is in the works for next year, only then can I agree with you about ditching the iPad :p

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Don't hold your breath. I'd say 4,7" +-0,2" is what will be announced next year.

Im not, I know what the rumors are. I state the requirements are for me to agree with the OP's argument along with the earliest possibility of it happening; i didnt take the probability of it happening into account.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Opposite here.

I use the ipad exclusively now.

I've owned a LOT of Apple laptops and presently have a Ret Macbook and a Mac Mini

Don't use them.

I might sell everything else

Mind you, this has been slowly happening for years, and not some passing thing, (I would imagine). I just like the weight and the screen, and it's feel.

It's also a stealth thing. The smaller the footprint, the less this tech stuff crowds me in. I'm not fond of the gadget clutter, even though I love them for what they offer.

To each their own.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I love my iPad 2
When I'm home I usually use it for browsing, iMessage, Mail, games
So convenient for school also since most my textbooks I have on PDF
To type up reports I use my Mac though, not so confident for long essays
When I'm outside I use my iPhone(obviously)

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Opposite here.

I use the ipad exclusively now.

I've owned a LOT of Apple laptops and presently have a Ret Macbook and a Mac Mini

Don't use them.

I might sell everything else

Mind you, this has been slowly happening for years, and not some passing thing, (I would imagine). I just like the weight and the screen, and it's feel.

It's also a stealth thing. The smaller the footprint, the less this tech stuff crowds me in. I'm not fond of the gadget clutter, even though I love them for what they offer.

To each their own.

You probably don't have too many needs, do you? Do you use office suites or something similar?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
You probably don't have too many needs, do you? Do you use office suites or something similar?

You are absolutely correct

I don't write at all with it these days. I'm not sure I would like to use an attached keyboard for very long, no point when you could use a laptop.

It depends on your usage, as you say, and writing on the screen is terrible.

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
iPad

I see that the optimal apple system is having the iPhone, imac, iPad and Mac book pro. All of them work togeter and for different reasons altogether. I personally think each one complements the other. And this seamingly easy flow Through of information, was what made me come into thr Apple Ecosystem. windows did not do it. In fact nobody else has. I keep a windows 7 desktop for games bought that do not run in osx due to licensing limitations.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
My phone gets more use than my iPad and is fine for regular browsing. Good to have an option though. I use my iPad for videos as it is much nicer to have the larger screen for that. I don't do any gaming and a laptop would be used for other tasks (but not used much at the moment as I need an upgrade. The iPad would be the last in line for upgrading.

If looking to type reports on an iPad, a keyboard is a must. Have heard that the rubber ones aren't great if you are wanting to replace a main PC. A laptop is a must for me for the formatting options.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

What ever is comfortable for you, after all it is YOU who uses it.

I have an old MBP and got an iPad3. I use the iPad most of the time for little things and around town, but when I need to do serious (and not so serious, MR, ahem), I use MBP.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
If Apple finally caves in and releases an iPhone 6 with a larger screen (even just a modestly larger one like 4.4") I think I would just stick with THAT iPhone and ditch any longing for iPad/Mini altogether. Which would put me in the same mind as you.

But at this very moment.... NO. The iPhone is still quite small. Too small to do ANYTHING that a tablet can do far better (e.g. web surfing sucks donkey arse on an iPhone's small screen at this time, and web surfing on a tablet even an iPad Mini is ten times better experience).

okay.. come on not the donkey's....... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.