Ditching 2009 17" MacBook Pro for 2011 13" MacBook Air. Good or bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NiroshanMan, Aug 7, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2007
    So I've lived with my beast of a MBP for 3 years now and I think I'm due an upgrade. I'm in the middle of college and the past two years have been fine with the 17" except for lugging a 6lb computer around... I've recently needed been doing more design/video editing and the 09' model just wasn't doing it.

I was really interested with the Retina MacBook Pro 15" but the price point is way too high and for a considerable amount of SSD space you'd have to pony up an extra $500-600 :/. I decided my money is better spent rather than selling my 17" (for $1100-1200) and using that money plus an extra $1200-1500 for a Retina MBP to get a 13" 2011 MBA (i7 4GB 256SSD for $1000) and spending the other money on building a desktop rig. I want portability, but I also want power and space. I think having a light laptop that although isn't a pro, is quite the computer and building my own desktop rig (with a G5 case :p) could get the best of both worlds.

Questions I have are, will my MBA be fine for video editing and photoshop work. I understand it won't be a beast, but considering i'm using using a 17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo with a 5400RPM 500gb drive... I hope it will be a somewhat significant upgrade.

Any other suggestions or advice?
  2. macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I run Final Cut Pro X for some video editing on my 13" MBA 2011
    While it isn't the ideal setup, it is certainly functional and capable for me

I too, went from a 17" MBP Core 2 Duo and I have found my Air to be a huge upgrade in speed
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2007
    Awesome! I'm glad. Seeing the new MacBook Pros (both normal and retina) with quad core i7s are tempting and Im sure would be powerful, but if i let myself use one I know there is no turning back. I want a considerable upgrade, but at a decent price and i think the 2011 MacBook Air with i7 processor will do the job especially coming from a 2009 MBP.