Ditching the TREO 650.. Whats out there!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rob587, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    So I have cingular and a treo 650. I havnt really liked it since the day I got it. I had a razr before the treo and the reception and call volume was a serious downgrade. It just so happens that those are the two things I care about most. But I also would like a qwerty keyboard for texting. I switched to the blackberry 8700 for a while and absolutly loved it. It had great reception, was loud, and the internet and email worked insanly well. The only thing was that I didnt really want to pay 30$ a month for the internet since I dont use it all that much. And I didnt want to keep the blackberry just for as a good phone phone with a keyboard, since it is somewhat bulky and for that size I could find a new phone with wifi. On my treo I pay $19.99 for 200 txts and unlimited media net, but the internet is so slow because its not meant to be used on media net.

Im basically looking for something exactly like the tmobile dash, but its not made for cingular. I want a thin good phone thats good for texting.

I was thinking about possibly the treo 680 when it comes out. Anyone heard anythign about improving the reception or call volume?

I really feel like there isnt a phone on the market right now that I would like..

I basically am looking for a blackberry pearl with wifi.. Or even just a solid phone with a suretype or qwerty keyboard that is small and has good call quality and reception.. Any suggestions? Would anyone suggest buying some other gsm phone not supported by cingular and switching the sim cards?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    That is a tall order in a way. Here's the deal. The sidekick is a great phone, but only for t-mobile. You can do the 8125, but the call reception is not much better than the treo. The biggest problem that I had with the 8125 is the silly call reception. When I called cingular (twice) and logged on and chatted numerous times I learned that their take on the phone is that it is a work phone not meant to be a cell phone. I know it is nearly appalling to actually have to hear that your $400 cell phone isn't a cell phone because it is also a data phone, but that is how it went with me. I managed with the call quality as it was a reception quality not really the call quality. I found the 8125 to really be loud and clear, but the calls would drop or not dial quite a bit. This was really apparent in my area where I live, less at work, and great in other cities.

I can't really give you an idea of a great phone, the 3125 is good...great even so I hear, but no keyboard as you want it.
    Maybe it's time to go to tmobile?
  3. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    your exactly right on that one.. Ive heard the old "its a pda first, phone second shpeal too".. But ive noticed that blackberry seems to overcome this stigma. And yes I do wish that cingular had phone selections like tmobile, but I cant swich at the moment, so im going to have to figure something out.

Ive also looked at the older lg 9100 on ebay, which seems to be kinda what im looking for.. However, it seems somewhat outdated, a little bulky, and reviews say the call quality is less than stellar.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
  4. furrina macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2004
    In tha 212

Nokia e61. Look into it. Runs on symbian s60v3, i have one and love it. You have to buy it unlocked so you can use it with any gsm svc. Its everything u want plus wifi minus camera. Dont get the cing branded e62, no wifi. Phone first, great communication device/pda second.
  5. Dubba macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    Nairobi, Kenya
    I agree - the e61 is the way to go.

I had a Treo600, then a Treo650. Both sucked terribly, and after using the e61 for a few weeks, I would never recommend anyone to use a Treo product again, ever. Period.