Ditching your laptop (MBA) for an iPad

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by entatlrg, Apr 9, 2010.

1. macrumors 68040

entatlrg

There's a lot of people over in the iPad section saying since they received their iPad they haven't touched their laptops.

Some have even sold their MBP's already because they're so blown away with their iPads.

Any MBA owners here who bought iPads and feel the same way?

I'm guessing there isn't as many :)

2. macrumors 68040

calderone

With my Mac Pro and iPad, I don't find my self using my Air. It will be going on eBay this weekend.

I may pick up an older Macbook for testing purposes, but I plan on making the iPad my primary portable.

3. macrumors 6502

happyslayer

I use my iPad for quicky surfing and games and such, but my Air is still my primary writing machine.

I like to write sci-fi novels in my spare time and writing on the iPad, while doable - I've written a fair amount on it - is not near as easy as the Air.

Also, the lack of USB on the iPad makes it fairly annoying to copy my documents from one machine to another and I am just not that thrilled with iWork to use it all the time. It feels overly cumbersome to get data in and out of the iPad.

However, editing my writing is really nice on the iPad. I make quick corrections in red font (using Pages) and then I can quickly scan through and make corrections on the Air. This definitely saves paper as well.

Anyway, wont be getting rid of the Air anytime soon.

Oh, one other thing, GoogleDocs does NOT allow editing on the iPad so that is another reason to keep a laptop.

That's just my opinions though.

4. macrumors 68000

gwsat

For those of use who use a computer for writing, an iPad, despite it's many great features, is a poor substitute for a real computer with a real keyboard. Thus, it seems to me, at least, that the iPad is an unsatisfactory substitute for a Macbook Air. Another problem with the iPad is its lack of Flash support. For example, in another thread a poster reported that when he tried to load the Masters leaderboard into Safari on an iPad, nothing came up because The Masters leaderboard page required the Flash plugin. Oops!

5. macrumors 6502a

Although I haven't used my MBA all week, I'm still keeping it. I write screenplays and the Final Draft app isn't out yet for the iPad. I can see myself writing an entire screenplay on the iPad though. I get 60WPM on the iPad keyboard and 80WPM on a regular one. As with most writing that involves creativity, you spend most of your time thinking anyway, not typing.

I also occasionally edit movies using Final Cut Pro on the go. A MBA is just barely powerful enough to do that, so it won't be an option on the iPad for at least another few years.

EDIT: I will say this though. The iPad is the first truly portable computer. Even my MBA, I would always debate whether to bring it out with me. With the iPad, there is no hesitation. I just grab it when I'm leaving the house. Having a virtually zero chance of ever running out of battery also helps.

6. macrumors 68040

calderone

1. There is a physical keyboard available and bluetooth keyboards can be used.

2. The Masters website is an example of Flash gone wrong. Nearly all of the stat boards available are viewable on the iPad. However, the Full Leader Board is not because some idiot decided to use Flash to display that particular list, yes a text list.

If these web developers would stop using Flash for things that do not require Flash much more of the Internet would be available.

Now, a user may miss out on some content, for example something that benefits from being interactive and "must" be done in Flash. Even still, it is bad form to not offer an alternative. The lack of Flash can be detected and an alternate site/content can be offered. Sure it may not be as "fancy" and they could exclude some content. This is good form even without the iPad as a consideration, yet many web developers just do not get it.

Take the attached picture for example: www.thefwa.com. If you offer me a site like this, you already lost me. This is absolutely unnecessary and there is no reason that site could not have be created without Flash or at least an alternative site.

Attached Files:

7. macrumors 68000

gwsat

To me, at least, an external keyboard defeats the purpose of an iPad, which is supposed to be a small, portable device, not two devices. As it happens, I have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and it's pretty big. It is far from easily portable as an iPad is portable.

All I know about the iPad's Flash problem is what another poster said in another thread. Also, I can't resist pointing out that I had the Masters leaderboard open on my MBP this afternoon and it worked perfectly. Make of that what you will. :)

More seriously, I am not denigrating the iPad but I do think that it currently has some serious limitations, some of which are correctable, but others of which, like key board input, are not.

8. macrumors 68040

calderone

I don't see how it "defeats the purpose." The iPad does not stop being portable because you have a keyboard. In fact, the iPad has the advantage because you can use it without a keyboard, if you need the keyboard pull it out and use it.

And the Bluetooth Keyboard is not "pretty big." Unless you are talking about the old white plastic one. I snapped some quick photos to illustrate my point.

Stacked:
    [​IMG]

Side-by-side:
    [​IMG]

Stacked, top view:
    [​IMG]

Keyboard and iPad comparison
    [​IMG]

The iPad has the advantage, including the advantage of not using a keyboard thus reducing its size.

I don't see how pointing out that you opened the Leader Board on your MBP addresses the incompetence of some web developers.

9. macrumors 6502a

A keyboard does defeat the purpose and completely unnecessary. We've been using physical keyboards all our life and it takes time to get used to something different. Instead of using a keyboard accessory, take the time to learn to use the iPad one. I already get 60WPM and I bet that number will come up the more I use it.

10. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

The iPad is no replacement for an MBA. Those who think the iPad can replace their MBA never needed a COMPUTER in the first place. The iPad doesn't do computing... it does entertainment observation.

As I stated elsewhere, the iPad isn't great at anything other than nice battery life and being extremely portable. It simply fails in comparison at any one thing like using it as a book, to watch movies, check email, type a book, surf the web, play games, compute, listen to music, or run Mac OS X applications.

The iPad's advantage is it does everything half-assed! That's the truth...

Read a book - too bright (fancy with gimmicky page turning) and inferior to Kindle and Nook.

Watch movies - too small and annoying to hold in the right position.

Check email - if I want to check email on the go an iPhone is better. If I need to reply to an email in depth, my MBA is better.

Type a book - please, without a physical attached keyboard it's grossly inferior.

Surf the web - without Flash it's a fail. It doesn't matter why or whose fault we cannot see even content on websites (don't blame SJ, don't blame developer for using Flash, and don't blame the coder who implemented it - as 98% of all web capable devices had Flash installed as of last year). The bottom line is it's a fail. It doesn't matter if we take the assumption that SJ is doing the wrong thing or the developer shouldn't use Flash at all, or the coder shouldn't have used Flash for content or navigation. The bottom line is without Flash the iPad is a fail for Internet.

Size - it's too big to put in a pocket and too small to really enjoy the display and its inherent qualities *being IPS.

Materials - feels great, but what does one look like after dropped? I plan to give mine to my young daughter for as long as it lasts... while aluminum is beautiful, for an entertainment device I believe Apple should have picked a better case material. We have seen this with the plastic MBs over the MBA/MBPs that are aluminum. When a plastic MB is dropped, it's usually not that big of a deal. When an aluminum Mac is dropped, it's often $1000 or more and Apple most of the time voids the warranty.

Play games - one cannot tell me this is better than a Wii, Xbox, or Playstation... better than an iPhone, maybe.

Compute - please... what a joke.

Input or Creation - not this Apple product.

Music - too big to carry along. No real improvements over an iPod.

Mac OS X apps - let's face it this is no Mac. One who uses a Mac for work/creation/input simply cannot replace a Mac with an iPad. The iPad is second rate at everything it does.

So where the iPad really achieves greatness is if one just wants a device to "sorta" do things, or do them half-assed!

11. macrumors 68040

tigres

+2 my son and I.

You said this better than I Scottsdale.
    I have a MBA, and gave this iPad a good lookover.
    What I found is it's brings nothing new to easing my work, or making it more organized.

I find this to be a toy, and nothing more.
    However, port osx on it, JB it then maybe I'll play.

What on earth is the big deal for this half baked toy?
    I passed on this purchase with ease, and no remorse.

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Very well said.

iPad isn't for me, why carry an extra device that does everything half ass'd at best.

iPad makes me love my MBA even more :)

13. macrumors 68040

calderone

That is a horrible assumption. It would be valid if the MBA was my only computer, but alas it is not. With a Mac Pro that is use the majority of my day I can do without the Air.

Also, couldn't someone with a MBP also claim the same thing about your MBA? That is doesn't do "computing." Of course, it would probably just mean that they have a different sense of "computing," but that doesn't matter does it?

Everything you have stated before is your opinion. But let me give another perspective.

I thought we were comparing the MBA and the iPad? What does the Nook or Kindle have to do with this? Oh, I see, we are supposed to carry our Nook or Kindle's with us too.

I had a Kindle, and frankly, it was far too slow for any real work. Sure, if you are reading a novel it works, but for technical documents (which is where I spend most of my time) it is worthless. Much of this is due to the slow e-ink, but the interface doesn't help either.

In regards to the screen, I read technical documents pretty much all day on one of my side 20" in portrait. My eyes are not strained, nor are they strained on the iPad when I use it. While the brightness may bother some, it does not bother everyone.

In your opinion. This also assumes that one has to hold it, there are plenty of cases now that will stand it up for you, much like a MBA would sit. I also welcome the cool factor as well, too many times have I fried my balls with the Macbook air sitting on my lap.

What is that you say? Get a cool pad or something for the Air to sit on? Ok, I will add that to my bag along with the Kindle/Nook.

Or how about, you check the email on the iPad and also reply on the iPad since its' keyboard allows one to type much faster than the iPhone.

But of course, this is personal preference no?

So, dock it or have a case that allows it to sit upright and pair your BT keyboard to it.

Ah, the good old Flash argument. I block Flash on my Desktop because I don't like Flash content. I do it on my Air too. If the developer does not want to offer me their content in a way that is not resource intensive they can kiss my ass.

A MBA is too big to put in your pocket too, but I don't see that stopping you from buying one.

And how can the display be too small to enjoy IPS? I am sure if it was TN you would be sure to tell everyone how horrible it looks, but maybe not since you enjoy you MBA and its TN panel.

This is one of your weakest arguments.

Wait, isn't the MBA aluminum? And guess what, even if it is $1000 to repair a dropped iPad (I have accidental with my insurance, so I am good) you can buy one cheaper. Whereas a MBA is going to cost you more. So how is this a negative?

So denounce the iPad because it is aluminum, but praise the MBA? Can you try a little harder?

Again, I thought this was about the iPad and the MBA? Are you telling me that your Air has better games than the Wii? The Xbox? The PLAYSTATION 3!?

This is absolutely irrelevant. Until the iPhone, games on any Apple platform were hard to come by let alone good games. This may change with Steam coming to the Mac, but I doubt you will be enjoying those on your MBA.

But, since this doesn't seem to be about the Air and iPad, lets go ahead and toss a gaming system in the bag too. We are gonna need a TV, will 20" do it? Or do we need a 46" or 50" to really enjoy them? Guess I am going to need some kind of barrel to carry all this stuff.

And what "computing" do you do? Safari? Nobody is buying an iPad to cure cancer in a week or cut the next Star Wars, but nobody is buying a Macbook Air do that either, are they?

Last time I check people could enter text, which is a creation of sorts. Oh, and people were producing some really great drawings with some of the apps as well. But who cares about that right?

Let's just grab the super awesome Macbook Air and encode some HD video. Ooo oo, we could make pretty pictures in Photoshop on that huge 13" screen!

Really, no improvement over and iPod? Really? I didn't know you could stream music wirelessly with an iPod? What is the app for that?

Oh, and can you listen to music and reply to an email on an iPod? Emails seem to be important to you, so you must be able to.

Yes you can replace a Mac with an iPad if you have another Mac to do you work on. End of story. Your whole assumption is based on having NO Mac and only an iPad, and that is simply false. Those people probably wouldn't argue with you because they probably didn't need a Mac in the first place.

You haven't proven your thesis in the slightest. All you have done is given your opinion.

Let me see what we need to carry along with us though.

1. A Macbook Air, although if we want to do *real* computing we might need a MBP.
    2. Nook or Kindle. We can't read on the laptop since our eyes will become strained.
    3. Xbox, Wii, PS3. We can't game on an iPad, but then again we can't game on an Air either, at least not in the same way we can on the Xbox, Wii, PS3. And we might need all three to make sure we get the full experience.
    4. A TV to play these console on.

That ought to do it. Now, how should I go about carrying all this stuff?

14. macrumors 68020

Wild-Bill

My MBA ?

........you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands first. :D

15. macrumors 6502a

I'm going to stop you right there. You have no idea what you're talking about. Have you tried the iBooks app? At minimal brightness, it is dimmer than any LCD I've ever seen.

You are the one who said there are no benefits to an IPS display for watching movies? Just because you can't see color banding and other artifacts associated with TN displays doesn't mean there are not there. That's a fact.

Just because you haven't learned to use the on-screen keyboard doesn't mean its not functional. As I said, I type 60WPM on it and I'm hardly the world's fastest iPad typist.

Now I'm a big MBA fan. I bought both the Rev A and Rev B. But the iPad is also an excellent machine. Anyone who says otherwise is still stuck in the old ways of doing things. The iPad is different and requires that you change your mindset of what a computer is. It requires you to take some time and learn how to use it. Of course you're faster in OSX now. You've used it for 10 years. You learned how to use it.

The iPad is a computer and the most functional computer of its form factor so far. And it will cut into MBA sales whether you like it or not.

16. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

My analogies all showed that the iPad isn't great at anything. It's good at some things, but as a whole it's a half-assed task completer. I wasn't just comparing the MBA to iPad. I was showing the iPad has no one dominant advantage as others have stated.

Pretty much any avid reader, like myself, will prefer e-ink over the iPad. My point was again that the iPad isn't a GREAT book reader.

Try using your docking station on your lap with keyboard attached. Not much of a portable writing station is the point. The MBA is far superior to a writer.

Why would I check email on the iPad if I have an iPhone that fits in my pocket and is my COMPLETE communication device? Text, email, voice, all in one device that fits right in my pocket.

Flash isn't an argument... it's a standard at least in the sense of 98% market penetration as of last year. That market domination far succeeds any of Apple's greatest successes. Flash is critical in viewing the real web. Flash isn't just about ads to be ignored... Flash offers real video viewing on the Internet for via ad supported content.

The IPS display I enjoy is on my 24" LED ACD. It is truly a joy to use... IPS is great, but it has disadvantages too. I would prefer an IPS display on my MBA. So what? Is that the iPad's one great task completer? What task is that again?

Computing requires input or creation not just observation or viewing. Yes, the MBA is markedly better and superior in every way in completion of tasks or WORK.

The aluminum on a computer is different than on a 9" entertainment device. I gladly state that I LOVE the feel and looks of aluminum. However, is the $1 worth of raw aluminum worth paying Apple hundreds of dollars for every time someone drops their iPad. Seems like Apple might have made the decision to make money, perhaps even in selling its own case in addition to repairing the iPad aluminum case for what? $200 is my guess...

Honestly, your arguments were so weak as to make me consider not responding... however, I will give you a reply for effort in all of that work you did (ESPECIALLY IF YOU TYPED IT ON AN IPAD). Want to go again and come up with some better arguments, or should I do it for you?

17. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Absolutely. I believe the iPad's display is inferior to e-ink for reading. I stick by that fully. I have both devices, and my Nook is by far a superior reading device. Do you have both too?

I agree that the iPad is a wonderful tool for doing a lot of little/small tasks but it even fails to its smaller iPhone brother in a lot of those tasks. One day it will be amazing. However, right now it's seriously lacking in my opinion. I cannot believe how inferior it truly is on every level to the device that is the leader in the same category the iPad is competing in. I don't care how beautiful the IPS display is nor how wonderful the aluminum feels, the device itself is inferior to every expectation I had for it. I am extremely disappointed. I still know its potential, and I agree the app store will make it much more relevant. But for right now, it's a device that doesn't do anything really great especially if one already owns an iPhone/iPod Touch which is more portable therefore better in portability.

In several years, the iPad will be sure joy. Right now, I am completely disappointed. It's a first revision, and as usual the Apple first revision product is Apple's learning curve. Since Apple is so secretive, it doesn't even fully test its products, in my opinion.

I had great ideas for the iPad, and I still do. But as of right now, it's a huge disappointment for me. In addition, it's so inferior to the MBA that it's ridiculous. I don't know how anyone could give up their MBA for an iPad unless they didn't really use the MBA for creation or input of information. For viewing videos, or doing light web browsing, or checking email, they might be able to switch from an MBA but not for real work.

18. macrumors 6502a

This is completely true. Unless they are light users, most people couldn't function with a MBA as their only Mac either. If they are light users though, an iPad would serve them fine.

To me, the biggest weakness of the laptop is the inability to use portrait mode. Most websites are vertically oriented. So are documents. Because that's available to me in the iPad, I get more information per page from a 9.7" screen than a MB's 13.3" screen. Go to most websites with articles. Articles in the middle, ads and other crap on the sides. Turn it vertically on the iPad and zoom in, you cut the crap on the sides and end up with 1024 vertical lines, more than 25% more than a MBA.

If the iPad gets the same developer support the iPhone had, it will have hundreds of thousands of apps. Would any OSX app do something these apps can't?

19. macrumors 68040

calderone

You haven't presented any reasonable arguments. Only opinions. And your worthless arguments were based on a false premise, that I would be replacing the MBA and only using an iPad.

In addition, your shifted the argument off topic by including devices that are irrelevant to the discussion. I don't give a rats ass if the Xbox offers a better gaming experience. I am not about to lug a 360 and a display around with me. Nor am I going to lug around an e-book reader if I don't need to.

And all of your analogies also show that the MBA isn't great at anything either. It is also good at some things but is a half-assed task computer. Why you say?

1. According to you, the disadvantage of a backlit screen is the tiring of your eyes due to the brightness. This means the MBA is not a great e-reader.

2. According to you, the iPad cannot "compute." Ignoring the vagaries of this, the MBA falls to the same claim. Sure you may be able to touch up an FCS project, but you are going to encode on an Air. And with only 2GB of RAM you will hardly be doing much multitasking. So, the MBA is also a half-assed computer.

3. According to you, the iPad is too small to enjoy the IPS display. It isn't a 1" display, it is a 9" display. And one would easily be able to tell the difference between a TN iPad and an IPS iPad. Let's extend the argument to the Air, the Air has a TN panel and is larger than iPad with less pixel density. So where does that leave the MBA in your argument? I suppose it is too large since it emphasizes the inherent inferiority of a TN panel?

4. No, computing does not requires input or creation. Is your MBA not "computing" when you are watching a movie or listening to music? Despite this faulty definition, I have given examples of putting input into an iPad and these possibilities will only increase with time. You have not provided any argument that suggests that input is not possible on the iPad. In addition, if you wanted to draw with any precision with a MBA you are going to have to lug around a Wacom. While on the iPad you could mock up a project and send it over to your main machine to take that idea further.

Sure, the MBA is markedly superior (in terms of specs), but so is a MBP when compared to a MBA. Each device has a purpose, but again, your entire argument rests on someone replacing a Mac with an iPad when no other Mac is present.

5. You still have given no reason for aluminum being more of a problem for the iPad. The MBA is an entertainment device as well. In addition I don't see any connection between being an entertainment device. Is the MBA immune do damage while it is being used as an "entertainment device?"

6. Flash isn't critical for me, nor do I consider it the "real web." This is again, opinion.

So no, only you have offered weak arguments. Namely because they are opinions. None of what I am stating is meant to be an argument, but merely a different way of looking at the situation. The difference between you and me is that you want to put forward an argument but are falling at it, while I am just shutting down your "arguments."

Also, please tell me what "work" you are doing on your MBA.

20. macrumors 6502a

I had a Kindle for a little while. Never tried the Nook. Never got into the Kindle. I'm a big fan of real books. I like the whole experience from cover art to flipping the pages. The Kindle makes me feel like I'm reading a text document. The iPad mimics a real book much better. Call it a gimmick if you want but the page turning shows Apple's attention to detail in replicating the real book experience as closely as possible. After a lifetime but real books, I'm finally sold on e-books.

BTW, I run Windows 7 and OSX all the time on my iPad through a VNC. I use Desktop Connect but there are other apps too. I can do everything I want on my desktop without ever turning on the monitor.

iPad $499 + macmini $599 = an OSX tablet more powerful than a MBA.

21. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Believe me, I really really wanted to love reading on the iPad. However, the fancy page turning (whether gimmick or not) isn't adding to the quality of reading nor is it making the iPad feel like a book. I believe Apple did that to allow the ease of the idea of converting books over. It makes it simple to realize how to get to the next page. I actually believe within ten years there will be cameras detecting where our eyes are looking and automatically scroll the text for us. It's natural to scroll text not flip pages as it wouldn't require a break in the text. Flipping pages came to be because of the limitations of the book and fitting text on pages. It's not natural in terms of reading itself.

I much prefer a real book over an ebook to read, but to deal with a large volume of books takes up a lot of space. I own over 1000 books (ten large bookcases completely full). When I started college, I sold my first three textbooks back and realized it was stupid to do that as each book is part of my knowledge base. Pretty soon I started only buying all books I read vs. checking out at the library. I have taken that idea a little too far. I also read several professional journals on a monthly basis. The whole collection of reading materials become too overbearing and difficult to deal with/store/etc (in terms of moving around when I had to move, taking space could be used for something else, clearing space for family space, and etc). I did cave in for the Kindle which was decent but slow just as has been stated here. However, the e-ink on the Kindle is far superior to reading on the iPad in my opinion. I really like the Nook and it's faster, but neither is the same as a good old book.

I also review college business textbooks, and I like to have a hard copy of every textbook I review. Therefore once the Kindle was introduced, I decided that the novels/anything fiction I read that I would start buying as ebooks only. It has worked out fairly well. I spend far less time in book stores, I get instant gratification, and it's much easier to store an e-library.

I do believe that students viewing books on the iPad will get an advantage for color photos, but even that will be minimized with color e-ink displays. In addition, the weight of carrying around textbooks is bad on the back. Students will one day just use one e/i reader. One problem for students though is that they sometime work from more than one book at a time, and that may be trouble at times. But moving from 30 lb. of textbooks in a backpack to a 1.5 lb. e/i reader is an advantage. Either way, the student probably needs an e/i reader and a notebook computer. I envision reading from the e/i reader and typing on the notebook computer.

Believe me, I wanted to love reading on the iPad, but I don't. I will read on it, but it will be more likely magazines not books.

Your last statement was extremely interesting to me. I didn't know of this capability. It reminded me of another idea I have had. Why doesn't Apple allow people that own Macs to stream just the display information from their Mac to their iPhone OS device. It would sell more Macs. A lot of people own iPhone OS devices and not a Mac. Why not capitalize on that and use the Mac's capabilities to show Flash content on iPhone OS devices. In addition, it offers a solution right now instead of missing out on Flash web content.

22. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

The whole point I am making, and why you're not understanding my reasoning, is that the iPad cannot take over the workload of someone who uses an MBA as their primary/sole Mac.

I explained fully why I showed the whole point of other products vs. the iPad. It wasn't to take away from the MBA or iPad points. It was simply to show that the iPad isn't amazing at anything. Every single feature is beaten out by another device.

The reading comment was explained by e-Ink.

The MBA's RAM is 8X as much as the iPad's RAM. In addition, my MBA can run nearly any OS X platform application every released. I call it super powerful, and the components are so superior on the MBA it's a ridiculous argument to replace an MBA (as a primary computing device) with an iPad.

I didn't say the iPad wasn't enjoyable to watch a video on. I said I would rather watch a movie on my 13.3" LED MBA display than a smaller IPS. The difference is so minor in terms of quality of display, that larger screen real estate easily wins this issue.

Again, my whole point of the MBA is it does all of the real work I have to do to make money for my career. I use an MBA as a primary Mac, and the iPad cannot replace it. If you have a MP, your argument isn't a valid basis anyways. I am talking replacing an MBA as a primary Mac with an iPad and still doing everything needed to do. Most people don't only use their computer for observation unless it's their home computer and they use another computer for work or creation/input by/from the user.

I did give a reason for the aluminum being a problem. It is damaged MUCH EASIER than a plastic material would be - I even described the plastic MB vs. aluminum MB the same size. Apple charges absurd prices like $1000 to repair a damaged computer that was aluminum that probably wouldn't have been damaged if it were plastic. It costs Apple less than $1 for the raw aluminum, and I bet Apple charges $200 to replace it after damaged. If it were plastic, it would probably not break nearly as easily. In addition, this is an entertainment device that doesn't naturally stand up for viewing on a lap, in a bed, and etc. A computer is different because it requires input, than an iPad. I see more people dropping an iPad than a computer by the nature of how we use a computer. The point here is the iPad is meant for PLAY. And play leads to more accidents than work on a computer at a desk or specifically designed for input and hands on usage.

98% of the Internet connected devices use Flash, so it's pretty common. If you don't use it, you're the extremely small minority.

You and I aren't going to agree, so replying any further will be a waste of my time. Go ahead and say what you will. My point wasn't to offend you, it was to state that this debate is more about your feelings towards the iPad from your positions.

Best wishes with your iPad.

23. macrumors member

Dude, he said specifically in his reply he wasn't comparing it to the air. His argument isn't about the air, and his premise isn't that you'd be replacing your air with anything. It's that the Ipad has no advantage over another device out there for a similar purpose. Which I completely agree with.

Anyone who is looking at an Ipad for any reason besides aesthetic value I could give them a different device that would suite them better with more functionality. Which is why if you have an air, why would you replace it with an Ipad? It does the same if not more...

24. macrumors 6502a

For some people, the iPad is enough for what they do on a day to day basis. These people initially bought an air because it was the most portable solution at the time (ignoring netbooks, which, IMO, is a horrible experience). Now that something like the iPad is available, there are many reasons they may want to replace their air.

1. The Air is overkill for what they have to do.
    2. The iPad is more portable and has much better battery life.
    3. They enjoy the UI more.
    4. It's simpler to use.
    5. There's less troubleshooting.
    6. Ability to use in portrait mode.
    7. Prefer touch over trackpad.
    8. Better screen. Better speaker.
    9. All the apps are located in one store. Easier to find. Easier to buy. Easier to use.
    10. No possible way to break an app or the OS (you can't accidentally delete an important file, for example).
    11. Instant on. No need to open a lid. Can use while standing or walking around.

I can go on and on. If you want a portable device that does more, don't buy the iPad, but you can't say it doesn't have advantages or features the MBA lacks.

Regarding reading, even if I did prefer e-ink, I read a lot of full page PDFs so I need a 9.7" Kindle. For about the same price, I can get an iPad that does a lot more: browse web, run apps, games, videos, photos, etc. Why would I pay the same price for something that only reads black and white?

25. macrumors member

1. The Air is overkill for what they have to do.

I don't know why something having more functionality than what you need would be a reason to replace it.

2. The iPad is more portable and has much better battery life.

The battery life is indeed impressive, but there are netbooks out there that match. As well as more portable. (See *) And I don't think that there are many people out their that would complain against the size difference between the air and Ipad as far as portability goes.

3. They enjoy the UI more.

This is indeed possible, I'll give you that. It's why I have a mac with Osx.

4. It's simpler to use.

Simpler to use is very arbitrary. And for processes that you'd use an Ipad for, how much more complicated do they really get on any other device?

5. There's less troubleshooting.

True (I would probably argue for that point too), but again arbitrary. One person may have many issues with their Ipad and none with their computer based on coincidence. When comparing devices, I like to only include comparisons between fully reliable and functional devices, because assertions like these are very skewed and unreliable.

6. Ability to use in portrait mode.

What? Since when is this something you base a purchase on? "You know this computer is pretty fast and functional, but the Ipad can turn SIDEWAYS!?"

7. Prefer touch over trackpad.

Yes, this is possible. But when you buy an Ipad, certainly you are looking to "use" it for things. You shouldn't go out and buy an Ipad just so you can play with it's touch UI (although I'm sure some do). They only applications in which I actually prefer touch is web browsing and music browsing. But if that's all the functionality you're looking for, then you're really in the market for an Ipod touch or Iphone. But then again, maybe you want those things with a bigger screen? If so, then spend the money on the Ipad. But you'd be buying it based on the aesthetically pleasing bigger screen, which has no real practical advantage for web browsing of music playing.

8. Better screen. Better speaker.

You can find plenty of netbooks with good screens and good speakers in similar price ranges. (See *)

9. All the apps are located in one store. Easier to find. Easier to buy. Easier to use.

I'll give you that. The App store is a huge advantage of both Iphones and the Ipad.

10. No possible way to break an app or the OS (you can't accidentally delete an important file, for example).

Who refuses buy a product on the basis that they could accidentally delete something? Seems rather petty. I'm sure people will find ways to screw up the Ipad too, like accidentally unplugging it while it's syncing. :rolleyes:

11. Instant on. No need to open a lid. Can use while standing or walking around.

Sure, that too. Again, seems rather petty. A lot of you're reasons seem to be based on the Ipad being the god of convenience. Which perhaps is true. But buying something for it's actual function is more important than convenience. I would buy an Ipad over a MBA if it browsed the internet better, played music better, viewed video better, and did basically everything the Ipad is designed to do better than the MBA. The original presumption stands that people who buy Ipads are doing so because of aesthetics. Because it looks pretty or because it's cooler to touch while web browsing instead of using a track-pad. Convenience is important too, I won't deny that. But the MBA has both convenience and functionality which in combination I think out-do the Ipad for it's pure convenience factor.

But I suppose we're working with an equation that is pretty much heavily weighted towards personal opinion. A(Functionality) + B(Convenience) = How Good of a Device, A and B being how much the consumer values those things. I think if you look around though, you can find devices that offer nearly as much convenience, and more functionality, creating a better device for must people. Personally, the air creates a bigger value in the end product than the Ipad in the equation above for me.

* If you use a "decently configured and built" netbook for the same functional purposes that the Ipad can give you (i.e. word processing, internet) then I would not say that they are a horrbile experience by any means. Especially if you're looking in the same price range as an Ipad.