Diver escapes from shark's jaws

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Jan 23, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

- BBC

:eek:

Surviving two shark bites? He's one tough/lucky man.

2. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

:eek:

See this is why I hate sharks, dunno why I want to move to oz now!

He wouldn't have eaten me as once I had saw him I would have crapped so much it'd been like eating a sewage treatment plant :rolleyes:

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Theres no need to fear sharks. They dont purposefully hunt humans, we're not 'fat' enough. My guess is the guy was spear fishing and attracted the shark with dying fish and blood on his spear. The shark felt the diver was competition for food and so attacked the competition :D

I think its one of them SmartSharks from Microsoft.

4. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

No I know, I just don't like them plain and simple. Evil eyes as well, think its the devil in there, plus they just look mean!

Its all those times watching Jaws as a kid thats warped my mind!

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I think they look quite majestic and graceful.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Just as any animal, they only attack if threatened.

We're going to Cancun in February. I can't wait to see a shark while snorkeling. My wife will absolutely freak!

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

jaws.jpg

It's coming for you...

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Crazy......he's 41 and his 25 year old son saved him? Well, not crazy, but I was surprised when I read "41 year old man" and then later read "25 year old son." :eek:

Anyway, what do you expect when you're in someone elses territory? We're not really meant for water, so if they're down there and fishing for abalone, a shark may come and think "Hey, this ain't for leisure! They're doing something with those shiny "metallic"-looking things!" *bite*

And besides, I don't feel so bad. People have killed 100,000s of sharks, and kill thousands upon thousands of them every year. Each year, only around 50-60 people are attacked (not killed) by a shark. I think a bit of human shark-snacks should be allowed. Not as though we're treating them very nice.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You've obviously never met a Great White....:D

The guy didn't threaten the shark at all, he presented a target for eating. He was diving for abaloné (hope he was licensed as it's very illegal otherwise) and being in a wetsuit he probably looked like a seal to the shark.

So the shark did nothing out of the ordinary I'm just saying there's more than one way to be eaten by a massive Great White.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to threaten something like oh, this bloke...

[​IMG]

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

For UK readers — did anyone see that documentary about Great Whites a while back (I think it was BBC 2), which presented some pretty compelling evidence for Great Whites living off our shores.

11. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Actually, fyi, There is one land mammal that I'm aware of that will intentionally hunt a human. All other animals fear humans to a degree, and will only attack if threatened, starved, or mistaken. However the polar bear sees no difference between you and a seal, they will eat you either way, they don't care :D
    Me thinks we need to beat the polar bears into submission over a few generations, weeding out all those that try and attack :p

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I stand corrected...thanks. But, they look like such happy creatures!

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Tip for Polar Bear situations always travel with someone who can't run as fast as you.

14. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

p.s. This technique is also effective in non-Polar Bear situations. :D

15. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

The first motto of my dive club was "We're Sorry" (long story). The second was, "You don't need to swim faster then the shark, just faster then your buddy...".

I have dove with lots of different species of sharks, but chumming to stir up the sharks just plain scares me. You never know when you might get something bigger then you expected (like a great white)...

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Heh, typical Aussie. The first thing he did was call a celebrity media consultant and sell his story to Channel 9 and the Woman's Day magazine.

A yank would've probably called a lawyer, this bloke calls Harry M Miller.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Chumming is bloody dangerous I know some tourist boats do it to attract sharks and it makes it dangerous for anyone in the water because the sharks become accustomed to looking for boats that food drops off of.White sharks are rareish Bull sharks on the other hand, I definitely don't want to meet one.

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I did. Although its possible I doubt they are. The show was full of crap to be honest and merely playing on the fear of sharks to make people watch it. I actually turned it off about halfway through because it was simply rehashing common knowledge anyway.

With our sh*t brown water anyway the sharks couldnt see the seals.

19. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The guy is definitely lucky to be alive! Not too many people can start a bar story with, "So, they pulled me out of the mouth of this Great White shark..."

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, he's an Aussie so he's born with the ability to adeptly spin a good yarn so don't be surprised if in the next couple of weeks you hear the story go from "this bloody great white pointer" to "these bloody great white pointers" and from "it had me in it's mouth" to "they had me in their mouths."

21. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I guess it depends on location but the chances of being attacked by a shark is slim...though I'm still terrified of them whenever I go tubing in the Gulf..

I hate it when "friends" pretend to see a shark and yell "Shark!". They get thrown off the boat after.