Diversity may help prevent Binge Drinking

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Nov 1, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A Harvard study finds that binge drinking occurs mainly among young, male, white Americans. The study was done at the School of Public Health. Thjey found that with a diversity of minorites and older students that the tendency toward binge drinking decreased. Most risky behavior occurs with binge drinking.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/education/2597408/detail.html

2. gwangung macrumors 65816

Re: Diversity may help prevent Binge Drinking

See! Affirmative action helps white males, too!

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

That is the weirdest statistic yet....

I am starting to wonder if there is a statistical coincidence here. Like only bigoted white males binge drink... :) just a thought.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yes, this certainly is an odd statistic. to some degree it makes sense, as the American approach to drinking is flawed-- people have to wait until 21, when they're out on their own, rather than learning to drink responsibly at an early age with parents... so i could definitely see how other cultures might be a lot more responsible with drinking. but that doesn't explain other american races, unless you want to apply the same theory to socioeconomic groups... but i don't know if i want to be the one to say that black/latino/etc start drinking earlier than white males...

pnw

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha i would agree with that after the halloween party last night, woohoo for the white americans.

iJon

6. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Suppose I released a study that said that young black men use illegal drugs more often. What's the freaking point?

If young white men engage in binge drinking, then adding more people to the population who are not young white men will decrease the level of binge drinking by diluting the level of binge drinkers, i.e., young white men.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You didn't read the article, did you? It quite clearly states that those who drank heavily in high school were less likely to drink heavily in college when the campus population was diverse.

That quite clearly means that its not merely the dilution of white students on campus that affects the figures but the fact that diversity lowers the bingeing (sp?).

This is good news! Thanks for the link wdlove. Anything that retards the growth of such an individually and collectively destructive activity such as this is always welcome news.

BTW, PoM, what is the rate of alcoholism at WAZZU? The last I knew it was a pretty white bread kind of place. My guess is that it is pretty high. Care to confirm or deny it?

8. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

WSU is both ethnically diverse and known for drinking.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

At 12% Link WSU is less diverse than the general US population Link . Given that a significant segment of the under 18s are non-white, that would indicate that WSU is way out of balance when it comes to diversity on campus.

10. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Okay, WSU isn't as diverse as the rest of the population, but it's certainly more diverse than my home town.

In any case, racial diversity is unimportant, just as race in general is unimportant, at least if you mean race qua race. I will not deny that by necessity, certain racial minorities within the United States formed their own cultures, but that is not the same as their race, and it is an important distinction to be made.

What is far more important is diversity of ideas and diversity of cultures. Race? I thought we'd moved beyond that by now.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As far as I'm concerned, race is a word that has no meaning so we are in agreeance on that. There are cultures, there are languages, nationalities, hair color, eye color, skin color, religions, etc, etc, but race is a meaningless word.

I think the point of the article is that campuses that embrace or have been embraced by a diverse group of students have fewer binge drinking problems. That means in my book that they are not all white, middle class kids from the burbs but of all colors, of all socio-economic classes, of all geographic areas of the US and abroad and religions.

There are a number of historically black colleges in the US. I wonder if the study looked at alcoholism on those campuses and how they were dealt with? I'm sure there are campuses in Florida, NY, TX and CA that have large numbers of Hispanic students. Does the premise still stand? It would be very interesting to have a look at the entire study and the campuses that were involved.

12. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I won't go that far. Anthropologically speaking, there is such a thing as race, there are genetic subspecies of man...but it doesn't have social significance. Nationality is more artificial than race anyway.

13. johnnowak macrumors 6502

For sure. There have been studies done that show Africans, on average, have lower IQs than Europeans. That's just how it goes. That's not to say someone from Africa can't be a genius of course.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Links please! Provocative statements such as yours are frowned upon if they are not backed up with proof.

BTW, there are no subspecies of homo sapiens. Just as the world of canines varies greatly, so does the world of humans. There are obviously regional differences but to claim there are sub-species is going too far.

The claim remains though that diversity on campuses leads to lower drinking rates. I wonder how what else diversity on campuses indicates? Lower crime, sexual assault, higher grades? It would be very, very interesting to find out.

15. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

This just happens to be a good kind of diversity. Anything to promote good health among the young is good. Besides race and socio-economic groups it also mentioned age. Having a mix of an older age group seemed to decrease binge drinking. Maturity does have it positives.

16. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

After going thru college and binge drinking (more than the average person), I find that after graduation.. I drink a lot less than most of the working stiffs I'm around. The guys who didn't go to college, come back to the hotel every night with a 6pack and they drink it... I rarely have a drink after work.

Its just my own observation, but I think even binge drinking in college serves very much as a "get it out of my system now." So enough of this bad-mouthing binge drinking... I think its a healthy activity. Binge-drinking in moderation, that is. :)

17. johnnowak macrumors 6502

A quick google should get you lots of info. Asians score higher than whites, with blacks scoring the lowest on average. The book "The Bell Curve" talks much of this. The book's validity is up for debate though, and I am no expert in this area, hence I'm just regurgitating. However, it really is irrelevent. In one of the early IQ tests, they found that women tended to outperform men. So they simply changed the questions until men did as well as women. IQ tests are, at least partially, bunk. And no, I'm not the typical person who says that because they got a crap score on their last IQ test. I scored 160+ and I have the Mensa membership to prove it. However, I regularly fall over, mispeak, and generally at like a total ditz, not to mention posting without proper respectful restraint, etc. I'm just really good with patterns and math. It's a mostly meaningless statistic.. unless your job requires good math and pattern matching skills.

18. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I think this is just more bunk and propoganda from they-whose-name-must-never-be-spoken :eek:

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Valdemort?

20. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No on both counts. It's Homo sapiens sapiens meaning no subspecies. And, johnnowak, the Bell Curve is not only controversial, it is ridiculed.

For those that are interested in Anthropology, here is a link to Anthropology and Education Quarterly and a review of a book by one of the giants of the field, Ashley Montagu. His book is an update of his work that demolished the idea of race to include new books, like the Bell Curve. The title of his book is Man’s Most Dangerous Myth: The Fallacy of Race.

http://www.aaanet.org/cae/aeq/br/montagu.htm

21. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Okay, I was wrong to use the term "subspecies". But different races do exist, however, they also lack significance on a social or political level. That was my point, after all.

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Phil,

I think the point is that race only exists as a social category. We, as a society, have created this idea of "race" out of our own prejudices focusing on our perception of the physical attributes of others and using them to create an "other." It is not a scientific category.

23. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

With all due respect, are you blind? There are genetic and physical differences between those of European, East Asian, and African ancestry. They aren't "prejudices" or "stereotypes", they are actual races. And it is useful to consider them as such for various applications. For instance, those of African ancestry are more prone to suffer from sickle-cell anemia due to genetic differences inherent in the race. If one is black, one should keep in mind that he is more prone to suffer from sickle-cell anemia.

Race is insignificant in a social and political context. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No, I'm not blind. Yes, there are genetic differences between population groups. That does not make the concept of "race" a scientifically valid one. As the review I posted states, "Indeed, a central lesson in the book is that variability in physical and intellectual traits, when it exists, is usually greater within a population than it is between populations." If one is "black" or more correctly having african ancestors, then indeed the likelihood of sickle-cell is greater, but this doesn't translate to taking this trait or the level of melanin or any other trait and constructing a category of a "black race" out of it.

I agree with you that "race" should be insignificant in a social or political context. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten there yet.

25. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

So how are people to know whether or not they are black, and therefore prone to sickle-cell anemia?

The concept of race is not only valid, it is very useful. For instance: If you are caucasian and want dreadlocks, the best method is "backcombing". If you are black and want dreadlocks, the best method is the "twist" method. If one is caucasian and attempts the "twist" method, he will not get dreadlocks. So it is pretty clear from these two applications, at the very least, that the concept of race is useful. I know it may be "politically correct" to argue it doesn't exist, but the last time political correctness interfered with science, Galileo was forced to recant.