Dividing iTunes music library on two HD's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kitsune^, Nov 1, 2005.

1. kitsune^ macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm running a 12" RevD PowerBook with a 60 gig HD. I'm getting an external 250 gig HD to accommodate my large file collection.

Now the question is: how can I divide my iTunes music library on two HDs? I'd keep a part of my music on my PowerBook and another on the external HD. I suppose there has to be a way to do this, since the HD size on the PowerBook is very limited. That way I could keep part of my music with me but still expand my collection freely.

Yes, I've got a Shuffle, but I'd also like to be able to use iTunes on the run.

I switched from MS environment in July and I could't be more happy with that. Dividing the music library was very easy with Windows and WinAmp though so I'm looking for a way to do the same now.

Thanks a lot!

:)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well you have to deselect Keep iTunes Folder Organised in the iTunes Preferences (under the Advanced tab). This will mean that you can keep your music anywhere. Also deselect Copy Files To iTunes Library When Adding. :)

3. kitsune^ thread starter macrumors newbie

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Maybe I'm wrong here - not sure but I believe iTunes will only let you have your files in one place. Go to "preferences -> advanced ->iTunes Music Folder Location." This by default is the "iTunes Music" folder in your "User->Music->iTunes" Folder. This advance panel is where you would change the iTunes Music Folder location to one on an external disk.

I have nearly 200 GB of music on an external hard drive - none on my laptop. I have found a way to "sync" all my Macs to this hard drive by copying the "iTunes Library," data file from the iTunes folder (in Users->Music) to the same folder on every computer. That way every time I have my external drive plugged in and boot up iTunes it sees the drive and all the music. Every time I add music though I have to remember to copy that "iTunes Library" file to the external drive so I can re-sync my other Macs.

In short, there is no way to have iTunes accessing more than one music folder location at the same time. You could, theoretically create 2 different "iTunes Library" data files - one for what's on your laptop and one for what's on the hard drive. Pain in the @$$ though.

I wish someone would write a hack to take care of this issue. Let us know if you have any other questions.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

aricher, I'm pretty sure that's only the case if you let iTunes organise your music folder. Otherwise iTunes doesn't really care where you keep your music so long as you don't move it. :)

6. aspro macrumors 6502

I can confirm what mad jew is saying, I do that here on my PB

7. music4life macrumors newbie

There is a way...

I had to do this when I changed over my 80GBs of music to my new Macbook Pro, while keeping some of my music still on an external drive.

1. Deselect the checkbox in Prefrences->Advanced that says 'Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library.'

2. Clear your trash can.

3. Go into iTunes and decide which Artists/Albums you want to keep on another drive by select and delete. I would suggest taking whole artists, that way it is still somewhat organized. When it asks you if you want to keep the files, or move them to the trash, click 'Move to Trash.'

4. DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH!!!

5. Take all of the music out of the trash, and move it to the designated folder on your external drive. After all is done and on your external drive empty the trash.

6. Drag the whole music folder from your external drive into iTunes. :)

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some have already posted good solutions.

However, since you stated "I'm getting..." there might be another solution.

You could always get a larger 2.5 inch internal HD and replace the existing 60GB one with the new one. Then you would be able to continue to store all your music files on the internal HD.

Just an idea to consider.