divx, bypass cd encryption & uninstallation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ssj300, Jun 14, 2005.

1. ssj300 macrumors member

Jun 14, 2005
    okay i just got this computer a few days ago..

what program should i use to install divx codecs and xvid codec and etc.
    uninstallation is funny.. i've read on this website that you should just put everything in the trash. what do i do with the files im not able to find that doesn't show up in spotlight :confused: i don't like my computer having random files that i wouldn't need

what program should i use to mount iso's and images?
    which program can i use to bypass cd encryptions, on the pc i've been using daemon-tools. can i install virtual pc just to use daemon tools? or does it not work...

my 1.67 powerbook has a superdrive and no software to burn stuff.. at least thats what i think. it doesn't has a "toast" so what was the default program for burning dvds and cds?
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Google is your friend. Xvid and DivX are both available for Mac OS X.

Not everything, some things have uninstallers. Especially those that install kernel extensions. But most things you can just trash.

If you can't find them, how do you know they are there? Files can be scattered all over the place, it depends on the applications. Most will be relegated to the application's hierarchy. There may also be some in /Library/Application Support/, and/or ~/Library/Application Support/, and/or /Library/Preferences/, and/or ~/Library/Preferences/, and/or there can also be self-creations in /Library and/or ~/Library. Look around. Get used to how the OS X file hierarchy works.

Disk Utility can be used. It's part of the OS. /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app Most of them, you can simply double click and it'll mount automatically.

Find somewhere else to ask about this. Macrumors doesn't knowingly support warez/cracking/hacking/illegals.

You thought wrong. Burning is built into both the Finder and Disk Utility, as well as a myriad of iApps. For regular data, Try just popping in a blank CD. It appears on the Desktop. Drag & drop files to it. Eject it. It'll ask you to burn. Easy. DVD functions the same way.

Toast is a good app to have.
  3. ssj300 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 14, 2005
    the files doesn't contain the name of the program so.. i dunno whether they exist or not.
  4. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You are new to the Mac. You don't know enough about the files on your computer to know if you need them or not. My suggestion is to leave those files alone. Otherwise, you will be back here begging for help to restore things that you should not have removed in the first place.