DivX on an old mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Megaquad, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2001
    I have this really high quality divx movie, but unfortunately it runs in very low fps on 350 mhz iMac.
    Can anyone please recommend some way, application to re-encode it into less cpu-intensive format so I can view it, it doesn't matter if file gets much larger as long as it runs smooth.
  2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    Try using Mplayer. It's not a re-encoder, but it may play your movie at higher framerates.
  3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    get mplayer 1.1. open the app, open prefs, select "lower frame rates on slower machines"

sounds like it will make the movies worse but it makes them more smooth by far. my power mac was originally a G3/350 and with that feature on it was much better. still a bit choppy in high frame parts but still much better.

I highly recommend you download the older 1.1 version. 2.0 was a lot more choppy on my 350. if you ever have 200$ to spend buy a G4/466 upgrade for it from fast mac. a G4 makes a world of difference with mplayer and vlc as they both fully support altivec. my G4/500 is never choppy even on 2GB super high quality dvd rips. smooth as silk.

here is the link to version 1.1 of mplayer: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mplayerosx/MPlayerOSX1.1.dmg?download