DIY iPad/iPhone Stylus from Expo whiteboard marker

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mitrezom, Apr 1, 2011.

1. mitrezom, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

macrumors newbie

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d2u5IX_qHc

Backstory:
    I've bought just about every ipad stylus out there (all but the super expensive ones) and I pretty much hate using all of them... Here's the thing: you can't write on the ipad or iphone very well, and yet all of these styluses are made to mimic pens and pencils rather than big low-fi markers.

So I decided that if I wanted to enjoy drawing on this thing I better figure out how to make my own marker that would force me to draw in large open strokes and not worry about writing anything smaller than my fist.

A whiteboard marker is perfect for the job. Plus the chisel tip means that you can draw comfortably at most angles. It's what I use every day at the office and it just seemed like it'd be a better fit for using on the ipad.

I spent forever finding the right materials and process, so I thought I'd make a short video to share the knowledge... enjoy!

NOTE:
    The key to this project is finding the right foam. I ordered a bunch of different versions online, sourced a few from local computer repair places, and bought pretty much every type of IC at Radio Shack; none of them were any good.

The best foam I've found (so far) has been from the IC's at Frys. It's low cost ($0.69) and it even comes with enough to make 2 markers :)

Product Link Here : http://www.frys.com/product/1003643

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 6502

DYI? :confused:

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I saw that the other day, and it's a prototype. If they had the funds to make a polished version, the wouldn't be raising funds on Kickstarter.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

ha, sorry, I'm slightly dyslectic...

7. macrumors 68020

4,926 Backers & $98,021 would disagree.

Watch the video and they explain why it was designed that way. Also what you see there is a non working prototype. Later in the video they do show a working prototype.

I'm thinking of contributing to their project.