DIY iPad/iPhone Stylus from Expo whiteboard marker

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mitrezom, Apr 1, 2011.

1. mitrezom, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

mitrezom macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2009

I've bought just about every ipad stylus out there (all but the super expensive ones) and I pretty much hate using all of them... Here's the thing: you can't write on the ipad or iphone very well, and yet all of these styluses are made to mimic pens and pencils rather than big low-fi markers.

So I decided that if I wanted to enjoy drawing on this thing I better figure out how to make my own marker that would force me to draw in large open strokes and not worry about writing anything smaller than my fist.

A whiteboard marker is perfect for the job. Plus the chisel tip means that you can draw comfortably at most angles. It's what I use every day at the office and it just seemed like it'd be a better fit for using on the ipad.

I spent forever finding the right materials and process, so I thought I'd make a short video to share the knowledge... enjoy!

The key to this project is finding the right foam. I ordered a bunch of different versions online, sourced a few from local computer repair places, and bought pretty much every type of IC at Radio Shack; none of them were any good.

The best foam I've found (so far) has been from the IC's at Frys. It's low cost ($0.69) and it even comes with enough to make 2 markers :)

Product Link Here :
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
  3. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2011
    I saw that the other day, and it's a prototype. If they had the funds to make a polished version, the wouldn't be raising funds on Kickstarter.
  4. mitrezom thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2009
    ha, sorry, I'm slightly dyslectic...
  5. xraytech macrumors 68020

Mar 24, 2010
    4,926 Backers & $98,021 would disagree.

Watch the video and they explain why it was designed that way. Also what you see there is a non working prototype. Later in the video they do show a working prototype.

I'm thinking of contributing to their project.