DIY iPhone 5 Scratch Fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Jan 22, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

blairh

Has anybody found either a marker or something of that nature that can cover a scratch or two on the edges of the black iPhone 5? I dropped my phone a few months back and I have two large scuffs on the front. I just want to apply something on the scuffs to hide them. Something I can purchase at Staples or CVS would be ideal. Thanks.

(Photo is not my phone, just gives you an idea of what I mean.)'

Attached Files:

2. macrumors member

I can tell you the birchwood gloss black pen does not work. I have one and tried diff applications on my wife's phone and it comes off. My phone I don't worry about too much so I embrace the battle wounds. Like havin a naked phone

3. macrumors member

How about some model paint applied with a small brush? Or some spray paint sprayed into a cap and then applied with a small brush.

4. macrumors 6502

This thread reminds me of those infomercials where you can get rid of bald spots by using a can of spray paint.

5. macrumors 68020

Black Sharpie pen.

6. macrumors 6502

That would cover the silver spots, but wouldn't fix the chips/surface irregularity.

7. macrumors 65816

Grayburn

Suggestion or statement?

8. macrumors member

Really??? Paint won't fill in the indent...better break out the bondo then :eek:

The OP asked what would cover the scratch to hide them, hence the model paint applied with a brush. That would last longer than a black sharpie.

9. macrumors 68020

Both. I have used it on a small scuff. First I wiped off any oil with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. Then after it dried, I used a sharpie to cover up scuff. Scuff gone, and permanent fix.

10. macrumors 65816

Grayburn

Nice, i might try that then on a few silver spots that i have.

I have in the past tried one of those Birchwood pens like Johnnygogo mentioned earlier in this thread but that also didn't work for me.