DIY ipod repairs [in hopes of resell]

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sakca015, Dec 17, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Jun 9, 2007
    So....I have been tossing around the idea of getting a new replacement back for my 5g video ipod so that i can sell it.

just wanted to know if those who have taken their ipods apart themselves have had reasonably smooth experiences? i don't want to ruin it of course - but i think i am adept enough to handle it. just wanted to know if it is more trouble than its worth? the back on mine is in fairly good condition - minimal scratching due to the fact that it has never lived outside of a case....although some scratches are down by the connector at the bottom...and since the rest is relatively unscratched it is more obvious. oh...AND least i forget it was a gift and so it has initials engraved on it...resell killer.

anyway: in short - what are your own DIY experiences and do you think the extra effort is worth it?
  2. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    It's not too hard. Use the iFixit guide to help you. I've used them to completely disassemble several iPods and a MacBook, and they are pretty much spot on, and very detailed :)

When disassembling my 5th Gen, I found it easiest to take out the first cable with an unwound paperclip. The second clip is probably easiest and safest with a plastic spudger or a credit card.