Dj Mixing Software for OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Encanto, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Encanto macrumors regular

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for being supported and very patience with newbies like me. I have used windows ever since 3.1 and now that I have made the chane I have realized that I have been missing out in many great things. Anyways, you see I am a DJ and used to use DJ software over on the darkside but now that I own a MBP I have no idea what DJ programs are available for Macs. Is there anyone who would gladly point me to the righ directions in finding a Dj Mixing software? Again, thank you for your time.

PS: I love my mac!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Traktor DJ Studio
    Not cheap but good, just getting to grips with it myself. New version (3.2) just out.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/dj-software.ars

3. pmackin macrumors member

pmackin

Try , Traktor by Native Instruments . It's one of the best out there.
    I use the final scratch also by NI .

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I haven't read the whole review, but that quote is just wrong. Ableton Live can analyze and beatmatch tracks automatically, and I find it to be much more powerful and flexible than Traktor. Lots of "big name" DJs are using Live in the clubs these days.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ableton Live was left out of the article as it wasn't considered a traditional vinyl-emulating DJing app. If you read the forum discussion then you'll see why. I'm not going to argue with it as I've never used Ableton but judging from many of the comments, it was felt that Ableton was great if you had the time to set up things beforehand or in the case of Sasha as quoted below: 'He has a team of people working in an office to chop up and beatmap tracks he receives.'

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/174096756/m/340006001831?r=340006001831

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Hmmm, I guess I'm just a super musical genius... I do it all by myself. And I don't even have a swank $300+ midi controller. :p

7. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I've been using Ableton instead of my decks for a couple of years.

It does take a lot to get into it but the flexibility and power are worth the effort.

Live with a Faderfox controller (www.faderfox.de) is amazing.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Maybe some people need to set Ableton up before hand, but not everyone.

As long as you have tracks or clips that you know aren't drastically different BPMs then they'll warp and match up fine.

The only prep work I'd do is label the tracks as name110BpM so I know the speed when I'm browsing, other than that everything is real time. And I find Traktor to be way less intuitive, and borderline frustrating but I feel that way about the majority of Native Instrument products.

9. Encanto thread starter macrumors regular

I want to thank everyone who has reply to my posting. I will check out ableton and see if it meets my needs. Again, thank you very much. Oh and a personal note: I love my Mac and those who claim that Macs suck are simply jealous beause they can't afford the BEST.

10. Derwood macrumors regular

DJay

www.algoriddim.net/

If you're not looking for something pro-level then you could do a lot worse than to check out this little chap. Have used it on a number of occasions with an M-Audio stereo interface and really like it. Suits my needs anyway. Have heard claims it can be a little glitchy but not so far in my experience.

Now, before it is that I get lambasted for suggesting a bit of freeware ;) have a peek at the feature set. I think they could quite easily pitch this at a price point that would dent some of the lower-end, commercially available DJ solutions.

Anyone else used it?

Derwood

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, I liked it, but then again, I'm not a DJ. Its great for people like me: people who have no idea what they're doing. If it is your work, I would try it out, but think that one of the commercial/shareware apps is worth it.

12. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

USB Controller?

I'd like to open this up again and ask if anyone has tried using any USB controllers with djay?

What I mean by a USB controller is something like the Hercules

djay does exactly what I want - it's nice, and it's simple.. i dont need the fancy bells and whistles to mix.. so this freeware app is perfect.. but i'd like to be able to use a physical controller instead of using the mouse/keyboard..

anyone advise please?

Thanks

13. RockMancuso macrumors newbie

If any of you are using decks then Serato Scratch Live works great on the mac, although it's already been listed. Just giving another recommendation.

14. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

So here's my deal..

Last week I sold all of my DJ equipment.. 1210's, cdj's, rane mixer, all my separates, speakers etc..

I'm now on the drive to find a cheap solution which leaves a small footprint and allows me to use my macbook to either stream over iTunes shared library or direct access to networked drive..

I was thinking of Serate Scratch, and buy some cheapo cdjs (numark maybe?), but that means, I would then have to get a mixer + 2 x cdj's, which is still a large footprint..

So here comes the idea of using simple dj software, which allows for using a simple usb controller to similuate 2 decks and a mixer (a la hercules styleee)..

The free software - djay - seems perfect for me.. simple interface, with simple controls.. basically.. the simplest setup.. but it seems a bit tedious to mix using the mouse/keyboard.. still want a bit more realistic approach, so I'm asking if anyone has tried using djay with any sort of usb controller to simulate mixing.. and if so, which one? And are they Mac compatible etc..

Any comments/suggestions to my solution are more than welcome.

Thanks

15. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

You could have a look at djay. It's pretty basic, but fun. :D

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

huh? did you not see my post above? I mention djay, but am looking for an actual usb controller to work with the software (if possible)..

do you know any?

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'd say in your situation that Traktor 3 LE is a good bet if you want to be limited to the two decks metaphor.

You could probably get a USB controller with that sotware bundled too for a saving.

If you planning delve a little deeper then I'd still recommend Ableton Live (you don't need a team of warpers to get on top of your tunes either !!). Again you can get Liv Lite bundled with a USB controller (like a UC33 or an xsession).

There is also M-audios new Torq software that you could consider.

18. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

just found this vestax controller bundled with traktor 3 le..

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR217936

anyone used it or care to comment on it?

plus, its fully mac compaitble, although it does state:

"(cpu accelerator cards not supported)"

what does that mean? i have a macbook 2.0ghz with 1.5gb ram.. i dont think it has a cpu accelerator tho.. lol!

19. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

20. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

230 sounds a very good price..

unfortunately, the Behringer isn't Mac compatible:
    "***Please note this unit is not Mac compatible, Behringer plan to release some driver around the 4th Quarter"

and the traktor 3 is not a UB.. although i believe that 3.2.2 is a UB..

but the biggie is that the controller is not mac compatible..

any other recommendations emotion

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The controller is class compliant so I'm sure it is actually macosx compatible. As you say the latest version of traktor is UB too.

However this is even cheaper with LE:

http://www.behringer.com/BCD3000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Or just get Ableton Live and a bcr2000 or a evolution uc33e.

22. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

now that looks just the ticket! BCD3000 coming in a few months...

will ask around some shops to see how well the 2000 works with macs..

thanks for all your input mate.

23. okayjustin macrumors member

help please!

i'm looking for an entry level / intermediate (just so it doesn't get boring) level dj mixing software that's good .. i'm not sure what i should purchase along with it. any suggestions? i've seen that i need a controller or something (i'm still new to all of it) i'm not looking to spend more than 300 all together. i want to add my own beats behind these mixes as well though.. as well as being able to control all the fading and controls whatever externally ..

24. qsoundrich macrumors member

Bumping an old thread, but that system shown above is supposed to be available in the US in a few months. If anyone East of the Atlantic has this and can make a report on it, that would be great!