Dj software easy for Mashups

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by EEcuber17, Feb 11, 2007.

1. EEcuber17 macrumors member

What do you suggest? I've been trying to find an easy and SIMPLE program to mess around and make some mashups with. Garageband would work, but you can't change the tempo of the individual songs like you need - unless I don't know how.

What is a good, inexpensive audio mixer I could mess around with?

thanks.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

isn't sony acid pro what all the kids are using?

3. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

4. EEcuber17 thread starter macrumors member

but I didn't think it was for OS X

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashup_(music)

i've recorded a bunch of vocals for some mashup guys (engineered, i mean, not me singing). rough mixes i've done (taking the vox i've recorded and the 2-track against which the vox were recorded) can be heard here and here.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, i reckon that's the case. but that is what the kids are using, afaik.

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

MegaSeg 4.0 Pro Mac DJ Music and Radio Automation Software $249 UB

Just Google Mac DJ Software and you find it all:

Here's a ton of choices.

If you want to PAY for it get MegaSeg 4.0 Pro Mac DJ Music and Radio Automation Software $249

I'm wondering why you didn't Google first? :rolleyes:

8. EEcuber17 thread starter macrumors member

I have googled. I just come across lame free demos of dj programs that don't really suite what i am trying to do, or are way complicated. Idk...I just find the layout of garage band so simple. I just need something like that, but the ability to change the tempo of individual tracks to mesh the full thing.

I'll try some of this stuff out.

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I see what you mean. I think MegaSeg has that capability. But I'm not a user so don't pay any attention to my view 'cause I am not inside that stuff. Have you checked out the DJ magazines?

10. Maxxx85 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat I had bought my new MBP for use of Video and Music editing which I always did on ACID PRO 6.0 and had totally forgot to even look if it was compatible with Mac. It's not the end of the world however. I know I can use boot camp to run windows so i can run ACID PRO, Is that the only way I'd be able to run it?

11. icarusbordello macrumors newbie

Nice!

I can't believe that I registered on this site just to tell you that that I really enjoyed these tracks - especially the first. I am pretty sure that I recognized the samples in the first - Cat Stevens and Tracy Chapman? Did anything ever happen with these tracks?

12. paolo- macrumors 6502a

You 'can' do it in garageband, actually I do a lot of sample based stuff with just garageband.

To get your samples to line up, import your song, cut the begining of it exactly on the first beat you want to use (leave the other end untouched). Then get an idea of what the tempo is, I use an application called metronome sometimes but just think, is it a slow song ? expect the tempo to be in the 80bpm region, normal ? 120 and fast, well it's going to be above that. Then find how long you want your sample to be, simply be counting how many bars there are.

Then press the cycle region button to have garageband play in loop. Under the bar number at the top you should now see another set of coordinants, simply click and drag how many bars you want to loop. Making sure you start on the first bar of your sample. Then play around with the tempo of your project so that when garage band gets to the end of the loop it sound ok when it starts again. You can zoom in to see where that should happen (say for drums you'd probably see the next bass drum kick and want to end right before that). Once it loops properly, cut the sample at the end of the loop.

Now, to be able to change the tempo of the sample, the track must be purple (made native to garageband), by default audio comes in orange. Make sure you don't change the tempo until the end of the instructions as your sample doesn't yet follow the tempo of your project. There's some key command to do it but it usually doesn't work well. So you need to be nifty a little bit to have garageband do a mix down. This has very little to do with beatmatching, it's just that you need garageband to change the format of the content from mp3 or wav to apple lossless so it can than change the tempo of and there are no buttons for that. I do that by cutting my sample in the middle, moving the second half so it ends where the first half starts and join them. You will now have a purple track, but split in half and backwards. So cut it in the middle again do the same thing you just did. Now you have your sample in purple. To be able to change the tempo of your sample, click on the sample then press on the scissors and click on follow pitch and tempo. Et voilà, you can now speed it up by changing the master tempo of your project ! Now cut every sample you want and you're ready for your first mix.

It might sound like a lot of work but actually it makes a lot of sense once you've done it a few times. Or at the very least you will understand what you are doing. So when you grow up to some other program, even if the process is different you'll have a very good idea of what you're doing as you'll have done it in one of the most manual ways. Probably as close as beat matching as possible in the digital world haha. Seriously, do give garageband a shot, I think it's a great learning tool as it's fairly easy to understand and isn't bloated with blinky lights and buttons everywhere, just the important stuff.

Beware of tracks where the tempo is changing (you might not notice it at first). First try it with clean drums, it's much easier to see where the beats are. Try a classic like funky drummer by James Brown, I Got The by Labi Siffre. Or say the intro to In My Place by Coldplay.

Welcome to the world of sampling where your ears somehow listen to just about anything and find beauty in place you never thought possible.

As for other software for mashups, I think Ableton Live is fairly popular dj specific software obviously and maybe Reason are some of the tops. I'm starting to use Logic and I think it does a pretty good job too.

Ugggggh, just noticed I made a super long answer to a two year old thread, I really hope this can help someone anyways...

13. prodigee macrumors 6502a

This thread is actually helpful for me because I have been looking for good apps to create mashups and no matter where I go it always comes back to Ableton. I mean I have tried learning it I really have but its just such a pain in the ass to learn. Is there anyone out there who knows of a good tutorials for Ableton?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Glad you liked them, though I take credit for the vocal recording only (ok, and the rough mixes). I think both these tracks ended up on katie's album, google kenlow to find her, and lenlow to find her brother - he's the one who did the music, iirc.

15. accordionchick macrumors newbie

mashup original songs

it's peter gabriel's SALSBURY HILL and sarah harmer's BASEMENT APT. nice mashup!

16. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

are you looking to do it like a real dj or just software based mashing up?

if you have the equipment ie.turntables/cdj,mixers and such Native Instruments is having an anniversary sale 50% off!
    Traktor scratch pro is going for 300$ and traktor scratch duo for 200$

Mashup: mixing two songs of different genres

17. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

i love how this thread was started in 2007 and your are replying now. I highly doubt he would be looking at this thread anymore:D

18. Xavier macrumors 68020

Ableton Live and Audiomulch haven't been mentioned? Both easy at manipulating tempo, which is the cornerstone to mashups. Tempo and Key.

19. Top156 macrumors newbie

Blaze Audio

I use blaze audio Rip Edit Burn. Great piece of software with excellent editing capabilities. It's an excellent into product to do the "quick n dirty" aspects of mashing/editing. Once done I import to Adobe Sound Booth for the fine touches.

20. jornywar macrumors newbie

Paolo,
    I actually found this post very useful, and that whole changing the track from "orange" to "purple" worked beautifully.... until I updated my computer with iLife '11. It seems not to work anymore. Do you have any insight into this problem?
    Thanks!
    Jordan

21. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

The current King of Mashups (GirlTalk) uses AudioMulch and I believe there is a Mac version available now.

22. Cruleworld macrumors newbie

Cruleworld

VirtualDJ is available for free now on the mac side. I use it and love it.

23. imamac317 macrumors newbie

I've been looking for something quick and easy as far as beat making goes, and from first glance, this looks like a great piece of software. I'll definitely be downloading it, installing it, and seeing what crazy beats I can create. It will be a party tonight here at Stephen Manor!

24. MrPresident macrumors newbie

I recommend Ableton

Hi,

I really recommend Ableton Live. It has two fantastic set ups, one for live performances (DJing) and a DAW styled sequencer. Using the sequencer I used to make mashups copying the style of Soulwax. It can take a bit of getting used to but spending an hour or two watching YouTube tutorial videos will get you in a position to use the software reasonably well. It's easy to edit and loop sections of tracks and there are some great effects included and available for free if you search hard enough. You can use automation with effects, volumes, panning, etc. as well.

As it is a DAW you can record in to the software itself as well, so if you get in to using Ableton it might replace what ever you were using to record those vocals. I've never used it that way my self so I can't really expand on that.

There's a 30 day free trial if you want to try it.

http://www.ableton.com/downloads

25. Cruleworld macrumors newbie

Cruleworld

haha I'm pretty sure you won't regret it

I'm gonna check this out.