dj software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by necropunk, May 2, 2006.

1. necropunk macrumors member

greets.

in your opinion whats the best dj software around ?

2. milkdev macrumors member

milkdev

I'm no DJ, but I heard that NativeInstruments has some very good software for sale.

3. citi macrumors 65816

citi

Rane Serato

The Serato by Rane is the best virtual setup out there. It is the DJ standard now. I have it and I absolutely love it! It's about 500$ at Guitar Center.

http://www.rane.com/scratch.html

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Do a search for DJ applications, or software, there's been a few long threads already. Some as recent as a week or two ago.

But ya...

basically it's:

-Traktor DJ studio 3
    -Ableton Live
    -Final Scratch 2
    -Serato Scratch.

those are the only ones that matter...

I like Live and Serato.

5. citi macrumors 65816

citi

I agree - I love live 5 but I don't believe it's truly ready for DJs. It's close though...With Serato, it works better if you already have turntables or cd players. You can mix on the powerbook but you wont be able to scratch or beat juggle. I guess it depends on your level.

basically it's:

-Traktor DJ studio 3
    -Ableton Live
    -Final Scratch 2
    -Serato Scratch.

those are the only ones that matter...

I like Live and Serato.

6. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Those are the only ones that matter? :eek: :eek: :eek:

depends on what he wants to do...

Reason www.propellerheads.se/

Recycle www.propellerheads.se/

Cubase www.steinberg.net/27+M52087573ab0.html

WaveLab www.steinberg.net/25+M52087573ab0.html

Peak Pro www.bias-inc.com/

DigiDesign Pro Tools www.protools.com/

etc... etc... etc...

These are all great peices of software wether you are just recording vinyl sets and touching up/tracking out, to full blown electronic music production and mastering...

7. citi macrumors 65816

citi

Although I use wavelab, and pro tools.None of the software you listed is for DJing. It's all for tracking and mastering. The only thing close is Reason but that is real time production.

8. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Ummmmm... i have been spinning records and recording/producing music for almost 10 years... and i can tell you that every dj i know (including myself) that produces their own electronic music uses every or a combination of the software titles i listed above.... ;)

maybe we are just "old school" :eek:

i certainly wasnt stating that the software you listed was no good...
    was just pointing out other titles that are used in the industry...

9. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

10. citi macrumors 65816

citi

That's fine...and as I said there is nothing wrong with any of the software listed. Also how long you have been DJing is not really relevant to the question he asked. I mean we could sit here and compete on who has more DJ skill and knowledge but that's neither here nor there.

The main question was :

in your opinion whats the best dj software around?

He did not ask what the best way to make music and remix tracks and real time recording. He asked about DJing.

11. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

God forbid i give my opinion on subject matter that is relative to something that i have done almost everyday for the last 10 or so years... :rolleyes:

12. citi macrumors 65816

citi

That's funny...we got it...10 years. Your opinion is fine but you never even answered his question.... Also you quoted me as saying these programs are the only ones that matter. I didn't say that...quigleybc did.

But lets go back to your recomendations because I really do DJ and produce music for a living and I have used and unused every single program at one time or another.

Reason www.propellerheads.se/
    This is a great program. (..the closest thing to DJing on your list but only for beats on the fly (house break beat rave, jungle etc. music)he will still need either turntables or cd mixer to play current stuff

Recycle www.propellerheads.se/
    Same as above (probably close to ableton live for it's abilities to tempo and beat match) you are still gonna need something else to actually DJ. Yes you could use the Rex files from Recycle in Cubase but why would you want to in a live setup?

Cubase www.steinberg.net/27+M52087573ab0.html
    For tracking and midi work - nobody I know would use cubase in a live setup unless they are strictly recording

WaveLab www.steinberg.net/25+M52087573ab0.html
    Mastering solution. I use it after I bounce my pro tools mixes. But it's PC Only. I guess not a problem if you have a intel mac

Peak Pro www.bias-inc.com/
    The MAC alternative to wavelab - but a very good program and cheaper

DigiDesign Pro Tools www.protools.com/
    Tracking only and midi recording only.

All the programs are good...they are just not (besides reason and recycle) really for DJing.

13. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

I hit the quote button... read your post above mine... you did say it... :p

im not going to argue with you... the OP asked what was the best program out there for DJing... There is no best... its all subjective... If you consider DJing just standing there beatmatching records all night then fine... so be it...

if you want to produce your own electronic music so that dj's are spinning your stuff... Chances are... you are going to be using some of the software i have listed above....

and when did i ever say he wasnt going to need turntables and a mixer?

14. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Damnit... Quigly BC did say it... :eek:

it just looks like... ehrm... you know... theres no quote thingys....

Whistles and walks away with shifty eyes....

15. citi macrumors 65816

citi

don't sweat it and yes you are correct. it is very subjective...almost right down to mac vs pc. Anyway keep doing what you and hopefully this guy actually wants to learn more than just slamming MP3 tracks and actually learn the craft. That ipod DJ was probably the worst hardware ever invented. There is more to DJing then pressing play.

16. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Now that i cant argue with... :D

17. andysmith macrumors 6502

After 15 years of DJing on vinyl, I've found Traktor the easiest to use. It's a very close representation of a standard mixer and CD players, and the BPM calculation/auto syncing is usually very acurate.
    I just can't get on with using my mouse to DJ, though. I like having instant access to knobs, switches and faders without having to find them or remember the shortcut key. But saying that, there's this Hurcules product that allows you to control Traktor/FinalScratch and some other apps.

I don't see any of them as a replacment for vinyl or CD though, but it does make a nice addition to my sets.
    You can also use FinalScratch, which allows you to use Traktor with turntables or CD decks... pretty expensive, though.

18. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

How is Peak, or Reason, or Cubase relative to live DJ'ing....?

Electronic music production, of course....if the question was, "what is a good program for making beats, and electronic tracks"...then ya I would recommed the ones you cited...

I guess one could use Reason on a laptop in front of an audience....but I certainly wouldn't.

And god help the guy that goes on stage using cubase.....but hey that's just my opinion.

**edit** oh I just saw that you added this disclaimer:

"All the programs are good...they are just not (besides reason and recycle) really for DJing."

So that is why I suggested programs that were relative to this thread.

19. Togglehead macrumors 6502

i lOVE final scratch....havent used the others....

I agree with everyone on this thread mostly...as another DJ/Producer i have used many of these programs....however, i did JUST switch to mac, so i dont know many of the Mac only apps...

Sereto looks pretty rockin

20. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Serato blew my mind.....my friend just picked it up...and ya...it's so smooth.

There's not as many "bells and whistles" as Final Scratch, but I for one am not a fan of the whole Native Instruments layout for Traktor, and it's the same layout in Final Scratch.

Serato, is more stripped down. It does just what it was meant to do, is extremely stable and has a really nice interface that is quick and easy to navigate.

I would feel "safe" doing a gig with Serato, but not as much with Final Scratch.

But, millions of peeps use and love Final Scratch so, to each their own.