DL burning software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AJ's Apple, Sep 15, 2006.

1. AJ's Apple macrumors newbie

Sep 2, 2006
    Pardon me if this is not the corect forum for this question. I currently have an external 5.25 DVD optical drive which is faster than my fist generation iMac's burner. I'm looking into replacing the internals of the external enclosure with an NEC 3550A capable of burning dual-layer disks; it already has an earlier NEC optical drive. My question is this: Will any version of Toast Titanium burn to a DVD DL, or do I need a specific version, or software? Will Toast recognize the capacity of a DL disk (with a DL drive) and record to it? I can find a lot of information on the optical drives themselves, but not a whole lot on how to utilize them. I currently use Toast 5.2.3; a bit antiquated, but it works for now.
  2. road dog macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2004
  3. AJ's Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 2, 2006
    Ah, so you do need special software to burn to a DL. Thank you.
  4. Apple2Mac macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2006
    You should get a Pioneer DVR-109 or DVR-110 drive as they will also be compatable with iLife the NEC drives will require patchburn inorder to work...
  5. AJ's Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 2, 2006
    Yes, my existing drive is an NEC and that's how I get to burn. I wasn't aware that some drives will work without it- thank you.

Nonetheless, I need to work on getting the software first.