DL DVD upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacAdmin, Dec 11, 2006.

1. MacAdmin macrumors member

Oct 31, 2006
    I was wanting to upgrade my powermac g5 1.8 to a dual layer DVD burner, does anyone know what make/model I would need, and if it is as simple as a swap out, or if a firmware upgrade is also needed.
  2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    No firmware changes are needed. However, you do want to get one that works under OSX without any 3rd party drivers. Check out the drive database at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ to see which burners work natively under OSX.
  3. paxx macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2006
    I've been checking this very thing out to add another optical drive to my MacPro and have found that most everyone says the Samsung SH-S182M drive is very compatible. It also has lightscribe and sells for $32 at www.newegg,com. There are some good threads at the discussions on apple's support web sight. I searched 'lightscribe' and found abunch out about this samsung drive.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    I'm partial to Pioneer Superdrives. The DVR-111D is the latest, I think, and can write to just about any type of disc (-R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL).
  5. iPhil macrumors 68040

I'm using a sony dvd burner Model # dru-810-a wit iLife '06 and usable wit iDvd etc..

im on a G4 dual 1Ghz G.E. system but also check macsales.com for a complete list of dual - layer dvd burners for G5 system or the site earlier in this thread.. :)
  6. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO

I've got one, but I think it's the DVR-110D or something like that, and it is an excellent burner. Works great in my G5, no firmware updates or anything needed. I think the reason they work so well is these are the DVD burners that Apple used at some point for their SuperDrives.

Mine's only produced 1 coaster, and that was my fault, trying to burn at 8x on a DVD+R DL meant for 2.4x burning.
  7. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2006
    The Emerald Isle
    I have been using the Pioneer DVR-109 in my Power Mac G5 for two years and it has performed without problems. Removed the original and slid the 109 in ... job done.

Dave :)
  8. Links macrumors member

Oct 18, 2003
    Hollywood North
    It also reads AND writes to DVD-RAM,
    not many burners currently on the market can do that.
  9. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    I have the Apple DVR-111D and a separately bought DVR-106D in the second bay of my Mac Pro. Both have never given me a single problem.

Yeah but... when was the last time you saw a DVD-RAM disc? 1998? :p