DLink DI-514 Complaint...(maybe other DLink routers as well)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Calvinatir, May 2, 2004.

1. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

Im a pretty tech savy individual and I purchased this DLink router today. I got it home, opened it up and plugged it into my WAN. One problem, the WAN light would NEVER come on, just for a split second on startup. This meant i never got an IP. I tried everything, leaving both modem and router unplugged, upgrading firmware, resetting, IT ALL. I spent over 2 hours just fussing with it. So I finally gave in, against my instinct and all inhibitions, and called DLink 24 hour support. After i gave him my speil and spouted all my specs he told me to go deep inside the menu to this one area in the Misc Options. The DEFAULT WAN setting is 100 MBPS, and i just had to change it to 10. This is the DEFAULT setting, the average comsumer, using cable or DSL does NOT have a 100 MBPS connection over their WAN! This fix never shows up in the FAQ's or anything either! ARg! Such a simple solution! I actually saw this option earlier and at quick glance mistaked it for WLAN, (stupidly). ARG! Just had to vent a little frustration....Stupid Default settings..

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

..but, um... everything works as planned now? :rolleyes:

3. Calvinatir thread starter macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Whew... ok- I just wanted to make sure.
    I have a wireless D-Link router on the way (recommended from these threads)...

But thanks for the heads up on the defaults.

5. LONDON.don macrumors newbie

derr umm ...so is d link the best one? what about belkin.. i need to go wi fi but with no problems... problems :(

Attached Files:

6. Calvinatir thread starter macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I'm currently using the DI-514 Wireless router...

Works pretty well, and the only headache I suffered was setting my DSL modem to "bridged ethernet" so I didn't get multiple routers, more or less.

8. tomatobush macrumors newbie

Linksys is the way to go. The set up was extremely easy. Finished in under 5 minutes.