Dlink router and Tiger were not friends for me

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xli_ne, May 2, 2005.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2005
    Center of the Nation
    Installed tiger on saturday night with everything going well except one thing, I can't log on into my wireless network anymore. It will show full bars that my wireless is connected, then drop. Plus, everytime that my powerbook was on my network, it would kick my desktop PC off as well. So I would turn wireless on my powerbook, and with that no longer on the network, the pc would join fine. But once the powerbook was back on, BAM, kicks everything off. Hooking it up with an ethernet cable produced the same thing. So I lose the Dlink router and setup my airport express as a router. I set it up with the powerbook and now it can get on the web fine. No problems. So now my current setup has my airport express running the show, both the powerbook and pc are working fine. (and seems to be running the internet faster with the express, both of them)

So I'm not the best with networking, just the basics, but I have no idea what to do to get my dlink router to work again. Any others have this problem? or any solutions? :confused: :confused:
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I read someone else was having trouble with accessing a Dlink router at a Starbucks although it was working find with their Apple router at home.

Try shortening your computer's name in System Preferences/Sharing to something with less than 20 characters. Apparently Panther automatically truncated if this if it was too long but Tiger doesn't.