.dmg file to fix a disk copy problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mc68k, Jul 2, 2002.

1. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Is there someone out there that can un-dmg a file for me?

My problem is that I just re-installed X, and ever since then I have been getting error messages with Disk Copy saying error 192. It can't mount any files! So I took a look at the KBase and they have a program to fix it— it restores privledges on all the Apple files, and is supposed to fix my problem.

But guess what? This program is a .dmg file to fix a Disk Copy problem!! So I can un-dmg this at school, but I have no other mac computers here at my house..

Soi I'd be much obligued to anyone who can help me out tonight. If your willing to help, I can give you further instructions on how to get it to me, unless you have a server of your own. Thanks. :)

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

At what URL can the file be found?

On a side note, have you tried booting into single-user mode, mounting the disk image manually as root, and copying its contents off of the .dmg? "mount -t hfs file.dmg /Volumes" or something of the sort. That might work if it's a problem with Disk Copy itself.

3. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

Haven't tried that with the mount as single-user.

Here's the link.

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Well, I downloaded it. It's only 172KB. Just let me know how to send it to you.

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

change the .dmg to .toast if you have it, then it opens up fine.....

6. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

This didn't work…is it supposed to? I haven't heard this trick bf.

Alex— i sent you a PM.

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

well thats how I get mine to work, I will se what else I can come up with

8. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

Yeah, that program reset all of my privileges so I'm back in business now. Some of them seemed pretty drastic— I looked at the log file and some permissions were changed from rwxrwxrwx. And I just did a full erase clean system install last week. So that leads me to believe that this one is Apple's fault. The log file showed that it changed a whole lot of files.

But in any case, I would recommend following the link a few posts back in this thread and running it on your comp to avoid any future problems.

mac15— it was recognized in toast as a HFS+ image but it just failed to mount. I am using toast 5.1.3 with a Yamaha 2100S burner and haven't had problems mounting images bf w/Toast. Maybe that problem w/DC was affecting something in toast? I'll have to check when I get off work.