dmnotifyd??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flyfish29, Mar 11, 2006.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I reinstalled Tiger on my iBook and after using two dif. wireless networks for a few days I turned on my iBook on my home wireless and got the following message.

Dmnotifyd has been updated- do you want to allow this new version to access the same keychain items such as passwords as the previous version- This change is permanent and affects all keycheain items used by dmnotifyd.

The path to the supposed file is this:
    Dmnotifyd…resources…dmnotification.framework…private frameworks…library…system

What is going on? What is weird is my wireless network would not work unless I accepted the message and said "change all" Once I did say "change all" it immediately reconnected to my wireless network that I had used the day before. Below is one post in a thread that mentions it but they didn't confirm anything really on the thread.

I DID SEARCH THE FORUMS ON MacRumors and only found a few mentions of the message dmnotifyd and it was all in a Tiger bugs thread. Here is one post from that thread that was a repost from someone at MacFixIt.com:

"dmnotifyd" apparently sending Apple user information

Several users have reported that an application called "dnotifyd" is sending system information back to Apple.

Jim Czech writes:

"Since my upgrade last night to Tiger, I have noticed something going on in the background. This was never observed in the past, but thanks to Little Snitch I 'caught' this one.

"This particular app is attempting to contact 'configuration.apple.com' every few minutes. I don't have a packet sniffer, but am curious just exactly why Apple needs to 'check my configuration' every few minutes.

"After the upgrade, I started testing all my apps, one by one, to see if there were any compatibility issues making the move from 10.3.9 to Tiger. When I applied the Little Snitch update, I then noticed this "dmnotifyd" app was phoning home. I thought it was possibly related to running each app and then Apple was gathering stats for compatibility, etc.

"However, even with no applications running, 'dmnotifyd' is still contacting Apple.

"I have allowed several requests (since I have nothing to hide) thinking it would stop. It doesn't matter whether the request to send is allowed or denied, it runs non-stop."

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I might be wrong so feel free to hit me, but I think it's .Mac-related. I've always assumed it was to do with synchronising data.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Damn, I was wanting to hit someone tonight:D

Thanks- amazed I couldn't find more about it on MacRumors.:confused:

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, from what I've gathered, it's relatively new (Tiger) and most users don't really run into it unless they scour Little Snitch profusely. Oh, and you can hit me for using the word profusely.

6. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

But I have seen this window twice now- once before I reinstalled the OS and once after- and I don't even use little snitch. I am just surprised that more people that use .Mac haven't wondered what they are approving keychain to do??

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

AEYh, good point. I guess most people just phase out when they see the rambling of letters.