DNF by Dec 31st?

Discussion in 'Games' started by 7on, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hahah "Xbox and PS2 versions". yerrite. Or perhaps it will be in the same league that HL2 and Doom 3 were on the xbox - crap ports.

Good news though. I hope it's out. Though I don't know what I'll make of it... I used to love Duke Nukem 3D as a kid but I've sorta grown away from that "cowboy" sort of main character. just hope it's funny (key) and the gameplay is minteroony.

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I hated DN3D, they took a perfectly fun shareware 2D sidescroller and tried to turn it into a Doom/Wolf3D ripoff. Ugh!

But I guess just like FF7, it DN3D was many peoples first experience of Duke.

I'll stick with Duke 1, 2, & 3 personally. :)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I never played the original 2D Duke games to any real extent. I might have caught onto them a little late, but the PC Speaker bleeps (no music) the highly contrasting colours and the fact they blatantly ripped of Turrican turned me away.

Was much more a Doom and Quake fan :) Doom scared me then it scares me now.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

does anyone care anymore? It'll probably be the biggest pile of rectal discharge ever......

5. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

bah, they're not being serious. They announced DNF shortly after DAIKTANA (sp?) and they're pretty much doing the hyping as a joke homage to that game. Someone at 3Drealms, upon hearing Doom 3 and HL2 going gold*, announced that DNF had indeed gone gold.

* D3 and HL2 were announced Gold within a week of each other or so.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

So they ripped some background tiles from a UK-only game that launched on some obscure computer systems in 1990, then got a release to Genesis/Gameboy in 1991 in the US? Not sure why that should bug me, or you! ;)

PC gaming barely existed back then. So a bunch of indie developers hobled together games to prove PC gaming would work. Commander Keen, started as a remake of Super Mario Brothers but was turned down by Nintendo, Jazz Jackrabbit was made to show PC games could complete with the likes of then-popular Sonic the Hedgehog. These little shareware games were what started the PC gaming industry, using a few tiles from an obscure game in another obscure game isn't that big of a deal to me... it's not like they completely replicated the game and resold it under another name. And who knows if the Turrican guys weren't asked? We don't!

As for DNF, how many people even care anymore? It'll have to be one amazing game for people to notice now. But I think 3D Realms can do it, so I am expecting it to blow people away when it is finally shown... but if they don't, I don't really care! :)

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The last I heard, DNF was due out on 01/04/2007 but I might be wrong.

Duke Nukem 3D was the best game ever invented. I'd played Duke Nukem 1 and 2 (shareware versions) and loved them. I nearly cried with joy when I saw Duke Nukem 3(D) was out. I have to admit one of the biggest reasons for buying it myself (I was only about 11 and poor) was that I was in Germany (back when their games were English only) and I knew you got to pay strippers to see their boobs in the game!!
    I played that game non stop for at least 3 years, even making my own levels. I don't think I've played any other game that much in my life, things like Quake didn't even compare. DN3D was *cool*. It was simply amazing!!

... starts looking for a Mac Duke Nukem port and old DN3D atomic disks...

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because it was still theft, no matter where they stole it from? is it ok to steal so long as it was obscure enough that few people knew about it? Does that allow me to go rob and kill and old lady because she's old and alone? Just taking that principle and putting it to something else.

And it wasn't UK only. the whole of Europe went ape over Turrican. people were hospitalised from mass riots caused by a limited number of demo disks for Turrican 2. In Germany though...

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Cut them some slack, they were shareware games. If it was commercial, it'd be a different matter. It's still not right, but I don't think it's worth getting upset over. Now, if a commercial game was ripping off an obscure title it'd be boycott grounds.

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

And the possibilty remains that the Duke people could have asked... i doubt it, but WE don't have proof either way.

And the point about it being UK-only was that if you compare release dates, when they would have ripped the graphics the game wasn't out in the USA yet, although it did finally make it.

And it looks, to me, more like they Re-Drew some of the background tiles, not directly ripped them. *shrugs*

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno, as a developer I feel raping copyrighted media from games into a another game a great sin. *shrugs*

12. Doraemon macrumors 6502

So did I man! Greatest game. I had so much fun playing it. And when Ryan Gordon released the MacOS X port, I played it again - all episodes!

You're looking for this:
    http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18448
    Enjoy! :)

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

And again, we don't know if it was done without consent.

As a developer myself, I am not really sure. If it was a small band of garage guys that did it I don't think I would really mind, especially if it is their first couple games. Especially in this case, where most of the graphics really seem to be cloned from the game but redrawn and modified to some extent. The similarities are undeniable, but but so are the differences. Some of them are just coloring, while others are obvious variations.

Characters aren't reused, the game code is original, etc... I think I'd find it rather humorous... just like if I caught someone selling my free game on eBay ;)

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I found that a little earlier too, shame we can't use the nice OpenGL / polygon model ports that are available for Linux and Windows. :( Both eDuke and the other mainstream one are both supposed to be multi-platform. I downloaded the source to eDuke but I didn't really know where to start. :(

I really want to find the duke nukem in washington episode, I had that years ago and still have the box somewhere. Lost the disks a long time ago though I think - thefts at boarding school and the like. I had another episode but I can't remember for the life of me what it was, some kind of summer holiday for duke or something??