DNS Problem in Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fourbin, May 2, 2006.

1. Fourbin macrumors regular

For some reason all of a sudden I can't visit www.google.com When I try to hit it, Safari says the Server can not be found. However when I go to Google's IP, http://64.233.187.99/ the page loads right up. Every other website loads fine except www.google.com. Also for some reason I'm not connecting to my POP email anymore in Mail. What happened? How can I fix this?

Thanks.

2. Fourbin thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to add that I've tried two other computers with this ethernet cable and they have no problem hitting google.com. Its just my Powerbook. I've tried Resetting Safari and emptying it's cache.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you download and install Firefox, does it have the same problem?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think Google might be experiencing problems. I've had spotty & slow access to it for the last hour or soon our normally blazingly fast connection.

5. Fourbin thread starter macrumors regular

Tried Firefox also and doesn't work.
    As I said I'm also having trouble hitting my POP email.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's possibly the DNS server your ISP uses.

But I have had problems with Google today.

7. Fourbin thread starter macrumors regular

Thing is, I'm at work. Everyone else here uses PCs and there are no problems through three different routers. I have tried on two different routers and wireless and stll the same problem.

Whats the deal?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Do you have the DNS server entered specifically in the Network prefpane settings, or are you just letting the DHCP handle it? Have you rebooted? Does it happen when you're logged in as someone else? Etc etc troubleshooting steps..

9. Fourbin thread starter macrumors regular

This is not cool. I once again can not get to Google.com today. What is the deal? I truly think its a problem with my computer but have no idea what it would be. Can someone please help?

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Read my last post.

11. emptyego macrumors newbie

emptyego

I am having the same issue with reaching Google.com, both via my search bar in Safari+Firefox, and typing it in. Yahoo.com also seems to be affected. When I try to use the IP address instead, I reach the same page, that "Safari can’t connect to the server."

I'm running the latest OS, latest updates, on my ibook g4.

When I go to ask.com I can retrieve search results, but I cannot click on the links. I think this might be spyware, but I've tried using MacScan and haven't found any yet. :( Also, it loads fine on my desktop. Any ideas?

Found an answer for my problem: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7114443

Maybe this will work for the poster, too!