Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emigrl

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
I tried changing the MTU to 1300, now I can browse the web and connect to sites with SSL, however, I am unable to send mails with SSL. Any ideas? Have you tried sending emails with SSL accounts?

(Correction, I am now able to send emails, however, they send pretty slow...)

If anyone still experiences problems, you might want to continue to lower MTU by multiples of 4. I lowered mine to 1272 before ping stopped reporting errors, though for practical purpose 1300 seems to work fine. Lowering MTU generally reduces connection speed so it's best to keep it high so long as it doesn't cause any problems, assuming that you are on broadband. Hope Apple fixes the bug...

bruzzac

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
Try reducing MTU size.

System Preferences > Network > WiFi > Advanced > Hardware > Manually > MTU: Custom > 1300

Worked for me.

You are my hero! Perfect solution :D I had this problem once with Leopard, however, an upgrade to Snow Leopard helped there. I was pretty darn annoyed when this happened to my brand new MBPr after the Mountain Lion upgrade!!

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Do this if you need to, of course, but it will slightly reduce your network speed, so only do if necessary.

gpessel

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Tried it all

I have a mbp, 64 bits and tried all the above mentionned solutions but unfortunately without succes. In the office everything works fine, at home i do have connection but it won't open any webpage.

jytdog

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Same issue but have ethernet not wifi..

I am having the same issue! It is not browser related (all browsers timeout) and it is not my connection -- I can connect my laptop (PC) or iPad over the wifi that is off the same modem and I have problems with any "complex" site - facebook, editing wikipedia, and all apple.com sites. So bizarre! Spent an hour with Apple support last night and no joy. I have a late-2009 iMac and upgraded from 10.6.8 (skipped lion)

jytdog

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
I am having the same issue! It is not browser related (all browsers timeout) and it is not my connection -- I can connect my laptop (PC) or iPad over the wifi that is off the same modem and I have problems with any "complex" site - facebook, editing wikipedia, and all apple.com sites. So bizarre! Spent an hour with Apple support last night and no joy. I have a late-2009 iMac and upgraded from 10.6.8 (skipped lion)

CORRECTION. I thought I could not lower the MTU on an ethernet connection, but I could and I did and it fixed it. THANKS!!!!

jassalicious

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Thanks, changing MTU settings to 1300 worked!!!

Try reducing MTU size.

System Preferences > Network > WiFi > Advanced > Hardware > Manually > MTU: Custom > 1300

Worked for me.

Amazing! This worked for me too ... been searching for a solution for this problem ever since i upgraded to Mountain Lion. Couldn't access Facebook via any browser and FaceTime wouldn't let calls go through. Don't know how you figured this out emigrl but i'm sure glad you did :) You are a lifesaver .... erm ... Macsaver.

jj5406

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
Thank you

Try reducing MTU size.

Worked for me.

Thanks! This worked for me as well - but I'm not sure why or where the problem really lies. I just got a new MBP with mountain lion. In my case, I had all the same symptoms at home (where I get internet via Verizon Wireless MiFi 4510L 4G LTE router). Everywhere else I tried I had no problems (though I didn't find another MiFi to test on). Also, at home on my old MBP running Snow Leopard (with MTU set to auto 1500) I also had no problems. I was sure that the MiFi was at fault and just not talking nicely to the new Mac OS. Now it seems more likely to be something with the OS itself. It seems to not play nice with some subset of routers out there.

-JJ

Gyrating Panda

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Possible Fix

I know this is a little bit older thread but thought I would share the fix that worked for me:

I encountered a similar issue and tried changing the MTU to 1300 as described but it only works for a minute or two. After doing some more internet search I came across the fix that worked for me: http://support.agilebits.com/kb/browser-extensions/safari-6-crashing-on-mountain-lion

After I unchecked the Auto Proxy Discovery option, Safari worked flawlessly - even with the MTU set back to default.

SomniusX

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
guys, i've tried all of these,
i've also disabled little snitch, then uninstalled it just to check it out..
mtu from 1500 abstracting by 4 till 1280 (yes i really did)..
checked my /etc/hosts if i had any related server or cluster site there (it is 600.000+ lines)..
reset all by browsers
flushed my dns (sudo dscacheutil -flushcache)
firewall of ML was off from install (system was a fresh install no upgrade)
rebooted like 20 times..

still can't access my sites, can't ping or traceroute, my hoster or any of the sites there.. i've checked with my hoster, all data centers are up.. checked with my isp and they have successful connection there.. then it hit me.. use my freaking ipad..

THE IPAD CONNECTS but my Macbook doesn't..

OH GOD.. someone please help here.. i've getting so frustrated.. :( :eek:

p.s. like a month ago didn't had any problem..

vsp

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2004
Chico, Ca
Earlier today I posted a similar issue, and I think I've resolved it.
Full post here.

Short answer: I turned of IPv6. This is in Snow Leopard. I'm not sure what option you would choose in Lion or ML. Maybe Manual?

Hope this helps you.

SomniusX

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
well it didnt help cause i already had it link-local-only, it was one of the 1st things i disable when i start clean with an OS..

well all roads lead to a another clean install, nothing can help me.. i've also spent the last apple support ticket i had to check this out.. even they didn't know what does that.. i even changed router.. :(

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
--------------------------------------------------
EDIT: No, this didn't solve my problem... After a few minutes the network is failing again. The weird thing is that it works fine from my iPad.
--------------------------------------------------

I had a similar problem with an old motorola router. Everything related to DNS worked on and off... sometimes I could wait google.com to respond for like 30 seconds. But Other services like Skype, or torrents worked well. I suppose because they use IPs and not domains...

I did everything I could think of:
- reset DNS cache
- change DNS (open DNS, google, etc)
- change browser
- change MTU

So far the only thing that seems to have worked for me is to diable IPv6. In Mountain Lion you need to do it via terminal, the option doesn't show up in Network/Advanced/TCPIP.

Code:
networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi

If you want to change the setting to some other network device use this to list them all, and change Wi-Fi to Ethernet or other device.

Code:
networksetup -listallnetworkservices

Last edited:

mmuschel

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Problem solved re: Website not loading....

OK...i had same problem....MTU change didnt work. Figured out that its a problem with DNS link being broken....so if u clear browsing history it works....however, we cant be clearing browsing history every time, so.....follow the instructions in http://www.eigenspace.org/2011/07/fi...earch-domains/. That fixed the problem for Safari but not Chrome. For Chrome, I unchecked the setting in the privacy setting Deselect to have Chrome predict network actions. In settings under advanced settings, deselect Predict network actions to improve page load performance. Works like a charm! yea!!!

toptxs1

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
still works for verizon jetpack 4620l

TY. TY. TY! This fix - the MTU change still works in May 2013.
Verizon Jetpack 4620l. Verizon pushed new firmware the other day and the jet pack quit work. VZ sent a new one. wanted to push firmware deferred until next power on and the device worked great. After new FW, again it stopped. VZ sent another unit. As soon as I powered it on & it shook hands with the network, it wanted to load new FW. I tested before saying OK, & it worked. hit OK & after loading new FW and it stopped again - 3rd time!

new version is 3.20.16 (installed was 3.20.11). Tested on PC & it worked.

So MBP & ML (10.8.3) were having the problem. This change seems to work.

cody92

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
Maybe the router MTU is causing these other issues. You could try raising or reducing that as well.

matthewwhite011

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
Check the browser's settings. moreover, you can use the google DNS's which work for me when nothing works. Cheers!!!

chatnever

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
Try reducing MTU size.

Worked for me.

Oh Gosh! Old but very useful. Work fine on my Mavericks. You've solve Ultimate problem :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.