DNS service with web cam

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Moof1904, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    I've recently purchased a internet camera for use at home. I want to set this up and be able to monitor the camera's feed from anywhere I can get to an internet connection.

I bought an internet camera because it has an embedded server that allows it to obtain an IP address without being attached to a dedicated computer. This way, I can directly address the camera just by knowing the IP address.

When I bought the camera, the marketing literature on the site (DLink) said something like "and by subscribing to the many free DNS services available, you can assign the camera an easy to remember URL to give to those who want to monitor your web cam and they don't have to to worry about complicated, or changing, IP addresses."

I've read on the various DNS service sites and basically what they do is provide a small applet that runs on the subscriber's computer and the computer notifies their DNS server whenever the computer's IP address changes. The service's DNS server remaps the assigned URL to the new IP address and as far as the casual browser knows, the URL remains unchanged no matter how many times the computer's IP address changes.

This all makes sense to me, so far. What I don't understand is: this DNS service requires that this applet be installed on the client computer so that the DNS server can stay informed of IP address changes but there's no way for me to install such an applet on an internet cam!

So, how would I accomplish this task for an internet cam? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    One way would be to get a static IP for the cam. Then you don't need to worry about running an app to feed DHCP addresses to free DNS services. Also, some routers have built-in capabilities to cope with DHCP from your ISP and feed it directly to your free DNS service.. does the camera have that ability (does it have a config webpage)?
  3. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    I'll Check

I'll have to check to see if the camera has the ability to feed an IP address to the DNS service. That would be sweet if it does.