DNS stopped working

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by kc2kth, Jun 6, 2010.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    #1
    This isn't a Server issue, but a networking issue within Snow Leopard. Hope I'm in the right place. Just got my mbp back from the Apple store - in for logic board replacement, no other changes. DNS seems to have stopped working - I can access my gateway, I can ping my provider's DNS servers, DNS addresses are assigned via DHCP, and these are working on a second Macbook on the same WiFi and wired networks.

    All DNS queries fail - dig tells me no servers can be contacted. If I dig @server_ip for my provider's DNS server, I get the correct list of roots. If I "sudo dig" I also get everything back correctly against my provider's DNS server. nslookup seems to behave the same - no servers unless I run under sudo.

    Comparing settings between my two machines, all looks normal. DNS server addresses and network settings match. I've bounced the mbp a few times, played with mDNSResponder a bit, but didn't find anything useful. I tried creating a new profile (another admin profile, same as my "standard" account on the mbp), and the behavior is the same.

    Any ideas why all of my dns queries fail unless I execute them under sudo?

    Thanks!
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    #2
    You might verify that /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to /var/run/resolv.conf and that the file is world-readable.

    A.
     
  3. macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2005
    #3
    On that note, it would be best to repair permissions in Disk Utility to ensure all system files are accessible.
     
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    #4
    Great call, should have thought of that myself! I've seen that listed as a fix for a lot of issues many times, never had to do it though. Makes sense since the machine wouldn't boot that permissions could have been hosed. Thanks for the pointer!

    And I did check the resolv.conf file permissions and that it was a symlink first - all looked good there, so the issue must have been elsewhere.
     

Share This Page