Do all external dvd burners need toast?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jackie123, Jul 8, 2006.

1. jackie123 macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2006
    This has been plaguing me...I'm researching to purchase an external dvd burner. I found a LiteOn for under a $100 but a reviewer says it needs toast to burn. I thought macs were easily plug & play for nearly everything. Is this an issue for all third-party dvd burners, or just a few, and how would I know? Is it possible to just plug in an external dvd burner and use iDVD to burn a dvd without Toast?

Any advice ont his would be greatly appreciated because I'm new to mac and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. lol

2. scan300 macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't know about Lite On but you can plug in Firewire writers and use Disk Utility on the Mac to burn disks. You need to create a disk image, then select burn, and if you have more than 1 burner you can select which one you want to use.
    Playable disks will automatically mount.
    iTunes can select external burners, not so sure about iDVD.

I know these features work on OSX 10.4. I'm not sure about earlier versions. As far as if your particular burner will work, I assume so, but only Apple can guarantee what will and won't work.

You may need to install a driver, if the set of drivers on OSX don't work with the Lite On.

If you are buying a burner which is advertised as Mac compatible, it will usually come bundled with Toast lite. You can also buy Toast lite from Roxio for about US$18.