Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I am not looking to have a technical discussion to know why they don't exist, just curious if any do exist.

If they rely on Apple TV that's fine.

Last edited:

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
LIFX have recently updated their firmware to support HomeKit on a few of their bulbs.

Was considering the Hue range until I heard this news, still not sure which to go for...

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Koogeek has been selling hub-less HomeKit light bulbs. It’s been making a lot of HK based products, so I’m actually a bit surprised to see that some people don’t know that the bulbs exist.

https://www.koogeek.com/p-lb1.html

The problems with these are that they are not all that cheaper nor have varied options compared to the likes of Philips Hue.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I am not looking to have a technical discussion to know why they don't exist, just curious if any do exist.

If they rely on Apple TV that's fine.

Like mentioned LIFX and LIFX+ (Generation 3) A19 and BR30 bulbs are HomeKit enabled as of Sept 21st. I'm sure there are others as well.

However keep in mind if you need/want a lot of bulbs the hubless options tend to get more expensive since all the circuitry is built in. Although I hate adding more freakin' hubs, I was ok with it for lighting. For me thats much better that 15 additional devices on my WiFi.

AppleTV (or iPad or soon HomePod) are for accessing HomeKit devices when your primary iOS device is off your WiFi network. Thats how it works for my devices, so I'm assuming others are the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.