Do any of you sail?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mammoth, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I myself have been sailing for 2 years, and I'm CYA certified Bronze Sail 4. I've learned to sail 420's and CJ's. Next up are FJ's and then Laser Radials. What do you do?

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My family has an Island Packet 35. Wouldn't buy any other boat in the world. :D Sure it maybe a slow poke at 0-10 knots. Above 10 knots it is smooth sailing and 15 knots is the sweet spot. And she can handle 20+ knots without reefing unlike the smaller boats and even the bigger boats. Got to love the full keel. :) Also sailed Sunfishes and Americans. I love the Sunfish. So fast.

[​IMG]

3. bradc macrumors 6502

When I was in New Zealand 4-5yrs ago? I got to sail on their previous America's Cup racing yacht! Well anyone can, it's in the main port at Auckland along all the bars. So 3 of my buddies and I payed $50kiwi each (I'm pretty sure) and got to sail that beast of a boat. Originally the money is just for dinner on the boat but New Zealanders' are probably the coolest people. So when the guys on board heard we use to 'semi-race' they put us up to the challenge to see what us Canadians could do!

Needless to say that boat beat the crap out of us and the crew just started laughing. Then the Crew showed us how 'it' was done, and man, if it weren't for the warm water I thought I had pi$$ed my shorts! Those boats are sooooooo fast and the amount those boats can list is unreal, I thought I was going to be swimming back to port for sure!

Oh, and for the Aussies here, we only got to stay one night in Sydney, but that happened to be New Years Eve:eek: Ohhhh man, the Aussies party hard! The Aussies & Kiwis are awesome people!

Quagmire, that's a really nice yacht! I'd take a yacht over an inboard/outboard anyday! Sadly, yachts are freakin' expensive!

4. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Hell yes!:D

This is my type of thread. I began sailing when I was 7 (now 17) and have sailed out of Pleon Yacht Club, the oldest Junior Yacht Club in America (the world?) ever since. I started out with optis, but I currently sail Club 420's and Laser Radials on the side. I love sailing in regattas (I should be at BBR right now, but registration filled up quickly... and I procrastinate:() and competing. Anyway, next up for me is 420 North Americans in Long Island.

I hope to get into some bigger boat racing a little later on, maybe even head down to the Virgin Islands and visit my cousin (the kid is ****ing amazing, he won Youth Champs in Laser Full Rigs last year :eek: ) and sail in the Rolex Cup. :D

College sailing is a definite, but to be honest, I'm not a big fan of FJs. They are extremely difficult to plane and they're too responsive to weight. On the other hand the do point incredibly well... ;)

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I poke around on the local lake in sunfish/lasers/small boats of the sort.

I used to have a sailfish that I got for 100 bucks at a tag sale and restored quite well, but I didn't use it enough and gave it to a friend. That was the most fun sailing I've had though. Right on the water, laying on the surface of the boat, just skimming across the surface...mmm.

6. CompUser Guest

We used to have a nice hobie cat catarmaran. We had it parked at our beach house and over the winter someone stole it. :(

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Thanks. It is a 1989 model. The CEO of Island Packet is brillant. Only keep models on the market for a few years then take them off. You know what that means? In 1989 the Island Packet 35 cost around $128,000. Due to the CEO's brilliant setup of a models life, in 2006 it is worth still $128,000 if not more. So it holds its value really really well. :D But, of course today the Island Packet 370 costs over double that so my family wouldn't be able to afford a new one even if we sold our current Island Packet 35.

8. Mammoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I'm looking forward to them, the addition of spinnakers and trapeeze gear is a welcome change. One day when I was learning we decided to do some rudderless, and we do it for a few minutes. Then the wind starts really picking up as we're putting our tillers in and I say to my crew "what say we go on a beam reach?" So I push the tiller, lo and behold we shot off. The wind was getting even heavier, there were whitecaps and it's pretty fast when you have a 14 foot dingy and have hardly been sailing for a year. Both of us are hiking out to the point of snapping our backs off and our wake was giant, it was rivaling that of the patrol boat's 125hp motor, and we were probably going nearly as fast. I don't know if we were planing, that's more of a 49er's bag, but I wouldn't be suprised if we were. I recall we were the only boat in our group that didn't either capsize, turtle, or head in because of being scared. :D

9. bradc macrumors 6502

I thought so! I like boats and yachts in the fact that they don't depreciate in value. For example, your 1989 Packet, 17yrs old doesn't mean anything in the sailboat world. Well besides regular maintenance, it is exactly like airplanes-a 185 on Amphib Floats or a Beaver or a Sea Otter can be 30 years old and fetch HIGH value. Wait a minute, that's why I don't have a plane or a boat! Hahaha:eek:

10. Mammoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Does this include tiny little dingies like Optimists? :rolleyes:

11. bradc macrumors 6502

Pffff, you know what I mean!

12. irain macrumors regular

irain

I'm on my high school's sailing team. I'm not amazing at it, but hey, it's something different, right?

13. Mammoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

It's sure fun! :cool: