Do any of you use iPod Linux?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by shadowfax, May 10, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

or have you tried it?

I'm just curious to see what you guys think of it.

http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/ if you want to check it out on the web, for those of you like me.

2. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Re: Do any of you use iPod Linux?

I've read about it, but I don't have the guts to risk my iPod on it, at this point. Not to mention the fact that, from what I've read, it's not as fully featured as the iPod OS at this point. (Granted, it has some features that are better, but, I mean as far as being a music player. After all, isn't that what our iPods are for? ;) )

3. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Man, ok, you can be against micro$oft and gate$, so that could have caused you to try linucz but why would anyone risk a lovely iPod for sake of that???

Is it punishing Micro$oft or is it punishing yourself and your iPod?.. what i recommend you is, get a mac (could be second hand just to connect an iPod) or find a warez WinXP Cd, and stop torturing that babe... :)

4. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

who are you talking to? this has less than nothing to do with microsoft. they are out of the picture. i have OS X on my G4 powerbook, i was just thinking of running a linux thing on it just for kicks. it's not dangerous, to my understanding. i mean, if worst comes to worst you can reinstall the iPod software after formatting it, and then put your music back on. how's that ricking the iPod?

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

what the hell are you talking about? no offense, but seriously... :)

pnw

6. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Be warned, I read on a discussion thread about using Linux on the iPod that there have been a couple of cases where the iPod crashed and couldn't be brought back up again. So, it's not completely safe...

7. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

linus torwards (or whatever his name is) found linux just not to use windows, because he thought that this should be offered with no money, and he saw how micro$oft was getting to be the only one in the market.. in my opinion the free travel of linux core code nonsense...
    whatever..
    in those days apple wasnt all that popular among the world, there was only some popularity in US, and in the other countries only architects and graphic designers used mac..
    so, I thought you were one of them, a mac admirer who uses linux because you didnt like gates n micro$oft... thats why i wrote like that...
    by the way, if you are not changing the ROM or file system of iPod, there should be no problem using iPod under linux...

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Check your history dude. Linus wrote the first version of the Linux kernel because he wanted a cheap Unix clone. The cheap hardware he had available was a 386. At the time the only Unix clone available was Minux which was not available for free. So he wrote the Linux kernel and used the GNU utilities to get a working Unix clone. He then posted version 0.1 onto Usenet under the GNU public license and the rest is history. Nothing to do with hating Windows, Bill Gates or any of the rest.

9. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i haven't done it but the project shows a lot of possibility in my opinion.

i am interested to know more about the insides of the new iPods, i have seen pictures at iPoding.com but no one has done a thorough examination, at least they have not posted one for me to see. for that matter, why has no one done a run-down test of the battery. i mean they've been out for what, 2 weeks now?

anyway, linux on the iPod, very cool. time will tell.

10. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i guess this isn't worth a new thread--i just got my new 30 GB iPod this morning, which was cool, because i wasn't expecting to get it till memorial day; my grandpa promised me months ago to give me the best one for graduation when new ones came out, but had suggested that i would have to wait till i came up to visit him. turns out he had it shipped to my house, and it came this morning. i was sleeping at 9:30 (have a morning off period), and my mom put the box on my chest and asked about it. very smooth :D

11. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

nice :D

12. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

congrats...
    if only i could wake up once in a while like that... looks more like a toture for me :D